• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Colour filters

dawson

Do many of you use coloured filters when observing he solar system?

I'm just reading and the author is suggesting there is much more to see on the planets when using various coloured filters.

I've got a moon filter which i use, but no coloured filters, and i see you can get some pretty basic ones for £20 for four.

Thanks

Jd

I think you can. And different colours show different details on each

Planet. But never seen one in use. A visual person might help more :)

Guest CodnorPaul

I hear mixed things James - some say coloured filters provide a really strange view and they prefer without, some say it can help to bring out different details.  I would be interested to look through some out of interest but I do find a Neodymium filter helps to bring out detail.  I have only used my ND filter on Jupiter so far and it does help, even from dark sites, with more subtle band detail becoming visible - I have heard the ND is also good on Mars but am yet to try it due to the weather.  The effect is said to be a RGB intensifier apparently but I am not sure about that - will leave it to someone with experience of both coloured and ND filters to comment.

I know Damian has looked into filters a lot also so he may be able to give some further advice from his research.

Ok, i'll send a carrier pigeon to ilkeston and see what he has to say :)

Thanks.

Jd

I have 2 sets of Antares filters, 1 set 1.25 and 1 set 2 inch. Coloured filters bring out so much on lunar and planetary. Ladt week I was watching Jupiter and no filters it was nice, but yellow brought out the belts, blue gave superb contrast. Blue is superb on mars bringing clouds out, red made the polar cap pop out, see my report from the 23rd.

In a nutshell, I would never be without them. Look at the Baa planetary sections to see what others think. Astronomers have been using them for a couple of hundred years for planetary work

. A visual person might help more :)

I like it, typical imager response :D  :D

James, The Antares set are worth a look as I said I have 2 sets, Lumicon do some as wel but are a bit pricier I think, Baader and all the usual suspects do them.

I did this list awhile back showing which filter enhances what details on which planet

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69947839/EMS%20Pics/march14/Antares%20Filter%20Set.pdf

That is a useful guide. No violet though?.. I have just been reading, and there are so many different filter colours and densities, and it looks like too little density on the C11 won't give as good effect, but too much density will cut out too much light...

This might have to be another one for the back burner and to play with in the future. The cheapest set is looking to be £40, the baader ones £150!

I'll have a look at the antares ones now.

Jd

No, no violet havent got that in the set. Why would you get bored with them :D

I used mine to good effect on the C11, that's when I bought the 1st set. I bought the second 2" set at the last but one Mars opposition. I had just rebuilt a vintage 80mm Towa F15 refractor and fitted a 2" Crayford to it and it was giving stunning views of Mars. I got the filters and was astounded at just what could be seen

Rother Valley is where I got mine from

Edited by philjay

I only say get bored, as i found a thread on sgl and they were all saying they didn't find colour filters helped and were a waste of money, but maybe they got the wrong sort and didn't get the benefit of them. I've posted an ABS wanted advert, maybe someone will offer me an Antares set for £20 :)

Jd

Good thread, these coloured filters are on my list of things to get, but I have more important things I want to get yet.

Are Watton filters any good, I'm having trouble sourcing them, is that because they are really good, or just poor?

Ibbo introduced me to a Blue 80A filter for Jupiter, this really helps bring out the belts and the GRS. I duly purchased one!

Good thread, these coloured filters are on my list of things to get, but I have more important things I want to get yet.

Are Watton filters any good, I'm having trouble sourcing them, is that because they are really good, or just poor?

Wratten is the colour scale Daz.

The numbers 11,12,23, 80a etc are the Wratten scale. So Antares and others have the numbers stamped on the side

I have a 2" and 1.25" filter wheels so when Im feeling lazy I load the filters applicable to the planet (see my table above) in the wheel and use that, saves swapping filters manually and getting finger prints and muck on em.. This will only work on scopes with enough focus backtravel to accept the filter wheel tho

Edited by philjay

Wratten is the colour scale Daz.

The numbers 11,12,23, 80a etc are the Wratten scale. So Antares and others have the numbers stamped on the side

I have a 2" and 1.25" filter wheels so when Im feeling lazy I load the filters applicable to the planet (see my table above) in the wheel and use that, saves swapping filters manually and getting finger prints and muck on em.. This will only work on scopes with enough focus backtravel to accept the filter wheel tho

Ahhhhh, that explains why I cant find them then....   :facepalm:

Will wait and see how James gets on with his "cheap" set and go from there.

I've not ordered a cheap set yet. A bloke in Liverpool has a set for £20 on ABS, but no yellow. If i get inundated with offers from my wanted advert daz i'll let you know and see if you want a set. Else we'll all have to pile around philjays one night and check them out :)

I can bring em to a meet, if ever the weather gives us a chance.

I've not ordered a cheap set yet. A bloke in Liverpool has a set for £20 on ABS, but no yellow. If i get inundated with offers from my wanted advert daz i'll let you know and see if you want a set. Else we'll all have to pile around philjays one night and check them out :)

Cheers chaps, appreciated.

:thumbsup:

I've got some cheap RGB filters 1.25" if either of you two would like a loan of them to have a quick try?

OOOOO, dont mind if I do, James, you go first, you started the thread.

Cheers Mike.