• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Red Kite

Craig

I took Emma down to Henley-on-Thames today for a "pamper day" so I had to kill some time.

These are everywhere!

13492155865_678a74aa9c_c.jpg

Not 100% happy with this as struggled with reach and was learning to use a new lens for the first time, but happy as a first shot goes.

I'll be going back once I've got more reach or more time for them to get closer.

Cracking shot mate!! Favourite bird of mine, I see them daily on the way to/back from work!! :)

If you went past the "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" Windmill rat run into Henley -ON-T you would see masses of Red Kites as this was one of the original reseeding sites back in the 90's(?)

Nice pic  :)

Looks like he was "eyeing" you .

Cracking shot. Loads of them round here too, they love hanging around wooded areas.

Cracking shot mate!! Favourite bird of mine, I see them daily on the way to/back from work!! :)

Cheers Ron - I am very envious! I plan to go back next year with a longer focal length lens.

If you went past the "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" Windmill rat run into Henley -ON-T you would see masses of Red Kites as this was one of the original reseeding sites back in the 90's(?)

Nice pic  :)

Looks like he was "eyeing" you .

I didn't go to the windmill. I was there as more of a chauffeur and hadn't made any plans at all. I'm a member of the National Trust so I visited two of their sites, Greys Court and Basildon Hall. There were lots at Greys Court.

I have one where he actually was "eyeing me" (he was right above me) but I wasn't happy with the shot so I binned it.

Cracking shot. Loads of them round here too, they love hanging around wooded areas.

Cheers - again, very envious!

Excellent shot Craig.

I saw one today while driving back from Norfolk, it was near Donnington on the A52.

There's a good few of them at Stoke Rochford, which is this side of Grantham, a few more years and they might be over here. It's only around ten years since we started getting Buzzards, so if they follow, it shouldn't be long.

Guest Tweedledum

Great shot Craig, used to commute to Bracknell when my bit of TWaters IT shifted there. Used to see them over the M40 from Lewknor to Bisham,

Lovely crisp image. What focal length was that?

I've never seen so many raptors as i see these days. Either numbers have shot up in the last 20 years else i'm just more observant.

Jd

Numbers have shot up James, in this area Red Kites have tripled in 2 years and C Buzzards even more in 3 years!!

Cracking shot...How beautiful are they hey.

Cheers :)

Excellent shot Craig.

I saw one today while driving back from Norfolk, it was near Donnington on the A52.

I've only seen them once before so I was really enjoying seeing so many.

Great shot Craig, used to commute to Bracknell when my bit of TWaters IT shifted there. Used to see them over the M40 from Lewknor to Bisham,

Cheers. :)

Lovely crisp image. What focal length was that?

I've never seen so many raptors as i see these days. Either numbers have shot up in the last 20 years else i'm just more observant.

Jd

Cheers James.

That was shot at 300mm so I was at the limit of the lens. I would have been happier with a 400mm rather than the 300mm. I had to crop, which I absolutely hate doing.