• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1.25 OR 2" adaptor

Guest Lad98

Guest Lad98

Hi All

I haven't actually taken any picture yet, but before I do I have a Question.

I have a Vixen ED81s that is 2" with a 2" to 1.25 adaptor and a Canon EOS 60D.

Will it make any difference to my pictures if I use a 1.25 Canon T adaptor instead of a 2" Canon T adaptor.

I already have the 1.25 Canon T adaptor but was wondering if I should get the 2" T adaptor instead .

Guest Kheldar

YES!!!

The 1.25" will cut light out ... the 2" whilst cutting a small amount will cut less :)

Get the 2" :thumbsup:

Guest Lad98

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did think the 2" would be better common sense really.

2" T adaptor about to be ordered.

Thanks

You may still get some vignetting with the 2" but it would likely be much worse with the 1.25".

Have a play with the 1.25" in the day time, taking a very single short exposure of the sky (well away from the sun and maybe with a white t-shirt over the end of the scope), and you'll see how much the edge of the image is darkened than the central part of the image:

u6a3e5a5.jpg

Then you could repeat when you have the 2" nose piece and compare.

There are ways to limit the impact of any vignetting in the processing stage but you may already know this anyway.

Good luck with it all. It's exciting taking images.

The other thing to consider, which you may already do/know, is operating the dslr from a laptop; "they" say once you've done that there is no going back to kneeling on the ground trying to look at the live view screen whilst focusing or framing your shot.

Jd

Guest Lad98

That's a great idea Dawson, I will do that ,then if I'm ever ask the same question I can explain this comparison

Lad98, I just did a really rough and ready comparison of the 1.25" and 2" nose pieces on my Canon 600D on a short tube refractor. There will be so many variables, and I'm sure when the focus tube is drawn right out that will change things again, and your focal length will introduce other variables, but on this rough test I think it is pretty easy to see the vignetting is worse on the 1.25" than the 2".

JD

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1673286/Vignetting%20test.pdf

Guest Lad98

Thanks for doing that James. It would seem common sense to go with the 2" and your test just goes to confirm it.

Quite a visible difference.

My 1st mistake avoided and still not taken a photo. this AP stuff is easy :facepalm: