• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

12" or 10" dob?

Guest memoryman

Guest memoryman

Take a look here, it will explain everything.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6058133/page/3/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

But basically the 12" will have 44% more light grasp then the 10" so finding objects will be easier, but on the negative side is cost, weight, size etc.

In your experience is the difference bewteen the 10" f4 (fl 1016mm) Meade and the 8" f6 (1,200mm) OO significant enough to warrant not going for a 12" for DSO's in particular?

I love my completely revamped and flocked SN10 which gives really good contrast views of DSO's and bought the Orion Optics VX8L because I was tempted by 1/10 wave pv & .99 strehl optics and what that would mean when pushing it on the Moon and planets.

I did plan to sell the Meade + plus my Charles Franks 4" reflector and get a 12" or 10" dob possibly a Push To version (I think GoTo is over the top on a dob), but have been persuaded by a fellow astro nut that the Meade would make a really good dob, so I may go down that route if a 12" is really impractical.  

I've had three dobs over the years ranging from a 10" Hardin, a 16" Meade, and the one I have now a 12" Skywatcher.

The 12" blows the 10" out of the water when it comes to brightness, but the image in the 12" also appears slightly brighter then my 16" meade but of course the meade went deeper in magnitude and saw a lot more but the image was always slightly dim.

Skywatcher mirrors are good and I consider them superior to Meade, or at least my Meade mirror. If you could stretch to a Orion Optics 1/10 wave pv & .99 strehl optics 12" mirror in a dob then that would be a perfect telescope.

I loved my 12" Dob and it was eventually the weight and dimensions of it that forced me to sell it on.

If you're going to get something that size I recommend checking how you plan to store it and measure any tight spaces you need to get it through. I had to lift it above my head! :(

Now the kitchen has been remodelled though... it could be a different story. I wouldn't have to lift it as such.

I'm blown away with the performance of my SW Flextube 12" DOB.

For me it is just handleable once you get the knack and mine is a GoTo with the heavier base. 

Having said that the base is just under a standard door width and so care is needed.

Adrian 

Guest memoryman

I loved my 12" Dob and it was eventually the weight and dimensions of it that forced me to sell it on.

If you're going to get something that size I recommend checking how you plan to store it and measure any tight spaces you need to get it through. I had to lift it above my head! :(

Now the kitchen has been remodelled though... it could be a different story. I wouldn't have to lift it as such.

The OTA of my Meade 10" weighs 15kgs and i regularly lift it into and out the garage where I keep it and its mounted on an HEQ5 mount which is also pretty heavy. I own a transit van so transportimg a 12" tube or truss dob wouldn't be a problem. Preventing it from being damaged whilst in transit would mean using padding of some kind.

The OTA of my Meade 10" weighs 15kgs and i regularly lift it into and out the garage where I keep it and its mounted on an HEQ5 mount which is also pretty heavy. I own a transit van so transportimg a 12" tube or truss dob wouldn't be a problem. Preventing it from being damaged whilst in transit would mean using padding of some kind.

I don't imagine you would have a problem then. :)

12" all the way!

Aperture as they say Paul , always wins.

You need to weigh up the pros and cons.....and theres lots of them.

The CN thread makes good reading. But i'm with Craig......12" all the way !

(I'm also considering a dob in the near future, and follow threads like this with interest.)

I have a 12" manual Flextube, and love it. OK it is a bit weighty and cumbersome, but on a good night it turns out superb views, it does reasonably well on planets but excels at DSO's.

When we get a decent night and can all get out again, pop over and have a look through one and see for yourself.

There are loads of mods you can do to them to improve their performance, and they don't have to cost a fortune.

+1 for the 12 inch dob. If you have the means to store it and transport it then go for it, I doubt you will regret it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Martin Hill

I'm selling my S-C meade 12 inch and had pretty well decided to but a 14inch skywatcher put the change to good use ! Yesterday i saw an Ad for 12 and 16 inch Ultralight dobs from a company called explorer scientific . One reason for sale of the Meade is that its weight means I can't move it easily and so its had little use . These light ones apparently only weigh in at 38 kilos for the 16 inch . Problem is that I cannot find any reviews of them despite a search . Does anyone have any knowledge of these or better still actually own one ? I think they are very new onto the market . They are German made and the company itself seems well known so i can't imagine they are pumping out cheap rubbish . With the 12 inch running at 900 euros even the price seems low .

Guest Martin Hill

thats the very fellow . I asked Zoltan at 365 if he was aware of the possibility of a 14 inch . He says not aware . I cant run to the 16 ES but ive seen a 16inch revalation for under £1300 . I dont know if i can get a 16 inch in my postage stamp garden . Im a divorce lawyer by trade and am not sure I can afford the cost if the Mrs finds out Im looking at 16 inch ....

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm a several months in with my Skywatcher 300P Dob and finding it great, and I'm handling it just fine now.

So why have I got the itch to go bigger?

Perhaps because the change from 200P to 300P was so significant especially with DSOs.

So where do we go from here - larger Skywatcher could be heavy?

Ade

Make the jump at least another 4" - preferably more. But the larger you go the more expensive the goto system becomes - unless you are confident finding stuff manually and don't need it. Less that 4" doesn't give an appreciable difference - and over 16" you need to consider how the extra weight will be moved around.

Alternatively you could pop over and we can have a few sessions with the Lightbridge - might save you some cash by quelling the aperture fever for a while lol. :)

Make the jump at least another 4" - preferably more. But the larger you go the more expensive the goto system becomes - unless you are confident finding stuff manually and don't need it. Less that 4" doesn't give an appreciable difference - and over 16" you need to consider how the extra weight will be moved around.

Alternatively you could pop over and we can have a few sessions with the Lightbridge - might save you some cash by quelling the aperture fever for a while lol. :)

That would be good Kim.

Ta.

Ade