• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Weather sites which ones?

Doc

I use Met Office as well and sometimes Sat24 but have never heard of XC Weather, I will have to give it a try.

Another one I use is Metcheck.

At Kelling Autumn this year I met a guy who is an active member of this site: http://met-monkey.co.uk/

He really rates it cos meteorology's his main hobby so it might be worth a look at - he seemed to know what he's on about - names Colin but I forgot his nickname on the site :)

I prefer to use Meteoblue, university of basel switzerland, as my main source, their UK and northern europe statelite maps and predictions are very useful and accurate for the majority of the time but theres always an exception. I usually then check with the met office just to make sure but its surprising how the two sites differ sometimes, but on average the meteoblue is more accurate.

Phil

Guest AstronomyShed

I use 4 in total, sat24, BBC Weather, Granada Weather and met office invent (very apt name). I then choose the one that says it's going to be clear, ignore the ones that say it's not, build my hopes up and then slag them off for being liars all day!

works for me! :)

Edited by AstronomyShed

Guest wisewoman

I obsess over raintoday.co.uk - great rain maps, better than metoffice and blitzortung for lightening strikes and storms :)

Melissa

I use Met office, BBC weather and Sat24. I must admit I find Sat24 to be quite accurate. I usually check BBC and Met office, see if they say it is going to be clear later on, then stick my head out the window, see which way the clouds are blowing then check Sat24 to see if there is gonna be a break in the clouds.

Works more often than not but never gonna be 100%

I use the Met office satellite images and the local BBC site, but to be honest looking out the window works best. There's nothing like thinking you are in for a good night and finding it isn't what the forecasts predicted. At least with the IR images you can see where the clouds are moving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641170

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html