• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Quark.......? A 'cheaper' way to do H Alpha ?

Bino-viewer

Apologies....the link takes you to the home page.

Look on 'newest items' and its in there.

Wondering if i buy 2 whether i'll be able to bino-vue with them..?   :huh:

Of course..... :)

In all seriousness though......its a lot of £££.  Toss up between this and a 21Ethos ?  The Televue wins every time.

Why is this hobby so darn expensive ?  :screwloose:

It will be interesting to see how they work and how good they are......

Looking forward to reading some reviews on them.

Fair play to them though (Daystar Instruments) for introducing an interesting new product.

I'd love to get set up in H Alpha, but the cost of some of the kit is scary.

I don't get how that'd work. Why does an EP need batteries? Do you need a solar filter at the front of your scope? I reckon youd quickly melt your diagonal without anything. 

For that price to you may as well buy a Ha scope! 

For the  Daystar to work is they have a to be kept at a certain temp or they drift off band

and yes a front ERF will be needed

Just had a look at the Daystar filters website.

Surprise surprise the eyepiece in question is  nearly 50% cheaper over in Uncle Sam. (USD $995.00 - thats around £600 in my book) 

But they have some lovely looking kit on there. Check out this 100mm  HA scope..... 

(it says F/L is 3250mm ? Surely thats a mistake ??)

13693637655_41a9bac402.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

For the  Daystar to work is they have a to be kept at a certain temp or they drift off band

and yes a front ERF will be needed

Apparantly not Steve.

An ERF ( energy reduction filter ) will NOT be needed.

Guest Kheldar

Apparantly not Steve.

An ERF ( energy reduction filter ) will NOT be needed.

Concensus elsewhere seems to be a front erf is mandatory - I think day star have it in the small print?

My opinion is that a full-aperture front end Fabry-Perot elaton would outperform this eyepiece. However, with the effective aperture of the Coronado PST being about 30mm and the Lunt LS35 being 35mm, there's not much in it at the entry-level end. However, it is considerably cheaper than the next cheapest hydrogen alpha telescope and may be more versatile.

I'd like to try it as a PST "double stack" but wonder if it would block too much light.

My advice is to wait for the review until buying it.

Just what i read on Kierons (from SCS astro) email this morning......

After emailing you our web site lit up with hits on the QUARK page.

The first came from America, 30 seconds after the email was sent. We had more hits for a new product announcement than we've ever had in the past. Just shows how much interest there is in this revolutionary H-Alpha filter.

So much so that Daystar sold its entire first production run in less than six hours!

The good news is that Jen Winter is letting me have one on Saturday. I guess some poor American just lucked out.

I had a few questions arise yesterday, so I thought I'd use this email to answer them.

Firstly the bandpass. According to a flyer which I shall be posting shortly, units of 0.8 to 0.6A are prominence filters and 0.5 to 0.3A are chromosphere filters.

An Energy Rejection Filter,  ERF,  is NOT required. The QUARK uses a UV/IR cut filter instead. This is a reflectance filter which sits in front of the QUARK. I have used one of these with my Tele Vue 102/Quantum SE Filter without any problems.

Unfortunately I can't demonstrate the QUARK at IAS as I can't get away for that show. I have an alternative in mind.

I am also offering an introductory price valid until May 15th.

Click here to see the new pricing. After May 15th the price will revert to £895.00.

Regards

Kieron - THe Telescope Guy.

To me Steve.....all this is a bit of a worry.

Are they saying you can buy one of these new eyepieces & a UV/IR cut filter and away you go ?

I'm assuming using a diagonal wouldn't be a good idea ?

Thats how it reads to me

I would not be happy without an ERF though on a scope of any size without testing it

not sure if diagonal would be in danger tBH as I have projected the sun using e/p's years ago without killing them (plastic lens would though)

a diag would not be at the focus point so I don't think it would be in danger

• 2 weeks later...

An update from SCS on the new Quark solar eyepieces........

Monday the Sun was shining and hardly a cloud in sight.

A great day for trying out the new Daystar Prominence QUARK, bought back from NEAF.

I have had a few questions about whether an Energy Rejection Filters (ERF) is required.

The advice from Daystar is that telescopes with apertures of 80mm or less don't need one. Apertures less than 120mm can use an UV/IR cut filter in front of the diagonal. Above 120mm, or refractors with oil spaced objectives and Petzval types should use an ERF. We can supply both types of filter.

Accordingly I attached the QUARK to my Tele Vue 102 via a Baader UV/IR cut filter. The focal ratio of the refractor is 8.8, so it was not possible to get a full disk view using a 40mm focal length eyepiece.

I applied the power and waited for the thermostat light to turn green.

Fiteen minutes later the filter had reached the correct temperature. Looking into the eyepiece I could immediately see prominences, sun spots and surface detail. Comparing the views against the images from the GONG network confirmed what I was seeing.

I monitored the Sun for the next three hours and was impressed with the views. Obviously I need to run some more tests, but my initial impression is that this is great little solar filter.

I'll also pass the filter on to a more experienced solar observer for their opinion.

Regards

If this is SCS Astro then the sun will have gone super nova before they even take payment and ship it.

I don't know what problems you had Darren, but I have dealt with SCS on numerous occasions and can only say that the service I experienced was always spot on, with delivery within a couple of days of order.

I gather that Kieron was in the states visiting the NEAF astronomy festival earlier this month at the time you mentioned the problem in your status.

Ok, well I can only go on what other reviews I have read and my own personnel experience, for a TeleVue stockist to take 16 days and not even take payment or ship the product or even offer a email of explanation, I just thought that was bad.

If he was out the country that would explain it but you would have thought he would put a note on the order acceptance email.

I see what you mean Darren.

That definitely isn't good service, and I'm sure your TV order wasn't an insignificant sum.