• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Quark.......? A 'cheaper' way to do H Alpha ?

Bino-viewer

I can recommend Green Witch for Televue gear Darren. 

Spot on (and their prices are about the lowest too)

Yeah I have used Green Witch before for stuff, really good service but this time Telescope House came up trumps on price and they delivered in 2 days!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking with increasing interest at these Quarks and I must admit I am now tempted to try H alpha and have been reading the Cloudynights and Solarchat discussions on these plus the Daystar site blurb and they do look tempting.

However it wasn't until watching Sean of Daystars youtube video on them that I realised they have the equivalent of a 4-4.5 times barlow in them, thus its going to be quite high mag hence their recommendations for F5-F9 refractors only.

From the video however Sean states there is a 2x one on the drawing board which would be more versatile for me as I have a range of refractors from F6 to F15 and I could use the quark in all of them. So even though I am fired up to get one at the IAS I think I shall wait and see now

Oh re SCSastro I have had varied service from him, some good and some where I have been a little surprised at the level of "service" for saying he is a mainstream supplier/dealer.

Edited by philjay

despite my initial reaction these are looking very promising

and as you say the x 2 looks to be the more appealing

I'm skeptical as they are listing 2, one for proms and the other for the chromosphere, I'm not sure I fancy spending biggest part of £1600 to have to swap between them. I will watch with interest.

Apparently each does both, but the prom one shows proms better but will show chromosphere detail but not as sharp as the chromo dedicated one and the chromo one shows proms but not as well as the dedicated prom. So if you were after the best for both then yes you would need both but as a general level observing / imaging tool i reckon the chromo would be the one for me, but at 2x

However I still have to get my head round the 10 year life span though, this being better than most, Im not convinced about spending 800 squids on a filter that will degrade eventually. Thats one of the many reasons Ive never gone for a pst or lunt.

Edited by philjay

I'm hoping to get on on loan to do a review but am currently trialling a Baader solar continuum filter. The Sun is my fave astronomical object because it changes more often than any other.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cyborg421

Mine just arrived today. I have the chromosphere version.

Just one problem - the lack of Sol....

Simon

Oooh nice one Simon, keep us posted and let us have a first light if ever the sun comes out again

Welcome to EMS BTW :)

Edited by philjay

Guest cyborg421

Thanks Phil,

I joined a while ago but we have our own observing group CMS, South of Leicester through a Google Plus Community so I tend to post on that usually.

I know Kim, (Brantuk), and had hoped to get together with him over half term so we could have a look at it.

Unfortunately I forgot that the new kit and cloud rule applies during the day as well as at night.....

The instructions look interesting but I am hoping that with my APM 100/800 I will have a good night and day setup rather than buying a separate solarscope.

Simon

Thanks Phil,

I joined a while ago but we have our own observing group CMS, South of Leicester through a Google Plus Community so I tend to post on that usually.

I know Kim, (Brantuk), and had hoped to get together with him over half term so we could have a look at it.

Unfortunately I forgot that the new kit and cloud rule applies during the day as well as at night.....

The instructions look interesting but I am hoping that with my APM 100/800 I will have a good night and day setup rather than buying a separate solarscope.

Simon

I will be interested in your thoughts on this once you are up and running

Thanks Phil,

Simon

Thats my thoughts as well, I have enough scopes so dont want another especially a dedicated daylight only one, the quark seems to tick boxes.

Sunny days forecast over the weekend, enjoy

Guest cyborg421

I'll let you know. It may be fair to let you know that I have no experience of Solar scopes to be able to do a comparison other than looking through a very small HA scope at an event once.

Simon

When we meet up I'll bring my solar scope Simon - the comparison is going to be very interesting. :)