• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Exposure question

Guest Lad98

Guest Lad98

I have an unmodded Canon 60d and was wondering what would be the maximum length of exposure I could take.

Is there a point past which I would just be wasting time.

Of course guiding is an issue, but putting that aside, is there a point when the censor is full.

Guest Kheldar

Yup and it varies by sensor and sky conditions and scope.

Sorry to be so vague but it's hard to answer equivocally, if you watch the histogram with increasing exposure length - you've gone too long when it spills over the right hand side of the graph

Guest Lad98

thanks for the reply.

Thought it would be difficult answer.

I was curious to find out so as not to be taking say 10 minutes when the sensor would be full after 7 minutes.

But like you say there are too many variables to consider. 

Typically for my sky I start at ISO800 and shoot 5 minutes. If the histogram is less than half way to the right I turn down to ISO400 and shoot 10 minutes. ISO1600 and upwards is too noisy for my 1000D so I don't go there.