• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which ZWO camera?

RonC

Which of these would you advise I buy? (as these are in my price range!)

To do Lunar, Planetary and some Deep Space Objects.

ZWO 130 MM - Mono 1/2"

ZWO 120MM - Mono 1/3"

ZWO 120 MC - Colour 1/3"

Also been looking at DFK 21A_04AS

Really don't fancy going the RGB route so am inclined towards the Colour version, and good de-bayering software is easily available now.

Comments please?

Ron

either the mono 120 mm or the colour 120mc, the 130 not quite as good, using the 120 mm mono of course involes a bit more work and filters and a wheel and can be tricky when imaging fast rotating planets like Jupiter, i did it with help, me on the laptop and Nick on the focus wheel 

certainly alittle easier Ron, but maybe slightly more resolution of course with the mono version, but then factor in the wheel and filters and the price doubles at least, i use a Manual Atik filter wheel and astromomik LRGB filters

Frame rate are amazing though althoug it doesn`t like being plugged into my desktop pc for some reason, although it will guide very well at 1 frame a second on it, the do double up as super guide cameras also

I was also looking at the QHY IMGOH, there's a good review on Astronomy Shed! :)

ASI120MC all the way Ron, but do order direct from ZWO and save a few quid, takes just under a week :thumbsup:

ASI120MC for ease of use all the way Ron. Ask PhilJay about the IMGOH, he has mixed feelings about it I think. I'm sure he'll be along to give his first hand experience of it.

Off to order a 120MC from ZWO (£177.30 at todays rate, £245 from 365 Astro)

Thanks for the imput  :)

Ron

(Done it!!)

Edited by Ron Clarke

Word of warning, you may get stung for import taxes, I did but it's only £40 or so, so still cheaper :thumbsup:

The majority of folks have not had to pay it though. Luck of the draw.

Edited by Perkil8r

IMGOH is a good camera, however it does suffer from fogging like other Qhys. I keep it with a silica gel pack and that helps.

Edited by philjay

Astronomy Shed said the same thing Phil, ordered a SWO120MC now! :)

Enjoyed the one time I got to try my new asi120mc much faster than my old DMK.

Region of interest makes getting the object on the chip easier too.

Enjoyed the one time I got to try my new asi120mc much faster than my old DMK.

Region of interest makes getting the object on the chip easier too.

How's that work then?

you can reduce the frame size, the smaller the fast the frame rate, think i managed 95 frames a second at 640 x 480 res

I use Firecapture which has the region of interest setting named - Moon (full frame), Mars (tiny frame) use the Moon setting to get Mars, for example, up to the top left of the frame then change to Mars setting to benefit from the faster frame rate.

Thinking forward Leigh, using the ZWO 120 as a guide cam as well as a planetary cam. So QHY5 would be surplus?

Are you bringing the Meg 72 from James tonight to WW?

Ron