• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ZWO camera question?

RonC

2 or 3 threads on SGL mention that the SWO camera's will not work with AMD computers only Intel?? They are 2013-14 threads and I wondered if this was still the case or are they now AMD compatable?

Just ordered one and I use an AMD laptop?

Cheers

Ron

Guest chrism37

Hi Ron

I have been looking into this as I was thinking of getting the ASI120 and from what I gather there is an issue not with processors being Intel or AMD per se but with the chipset on the motherboard being Intel or AMD, of course this is directly related to the make of processor so it's a bit of a pedantic point!

However, looks like the issue only crops up with USB 3.0 ports so depending on your machine you should be OK using a USB2.0 port or USB1.0 port. There is a lot of good guidance on the ZWO website here http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Cameras/ASI120/index.asp

"To get best speed please Make sure that you pluged the camera to the USB2.0 port,some USB3.0 is NOT compitable!

And DONOT use any USB extension cable or USB hub which will affect the speed of fast image transfer."

It doesn't mention not being compatible with AMD processors or chipsets so I reckon if you find a USB3 port is giving you problems then you could try any of the others and one of them should be OK. If not, I can't see that you would have any problems returning it as they have not made it clear if it is a known incompatibility.

cheers, look forward to hearing how you get on

Chris

Not really tried mine out yet, my laptop is intel and it's ok on that, all my software seems to recognise it and no crashes. 

The desktop pc (an older Win Vista one) is amd and it installs and starts up ok and PDH picks it up without any problem (usb2).

Working on the assumption that the skies will remain cloudy for the next day or two I'm going to do a daytime dummy run tomorrow and see IF it works via my powered hub and active usb cable.

Al

Well i've been using mine with a usb3 hub, and a 15m extension cable...

That's good to know!