• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M101 2/5/14

RonC

Eventually after a lot of trouble setting up!!

M101 The Pinwheel galaxy

13908643927_9fb7090cba_s.jpg20140502M101 by [email protected], on Flickr

Not that happy with it and may re-visit it on PS again! SEE FURTHER DOWN THE THREAD!

14 Lights

7 darks

Mn190 - QHY5 - Canon 1000d

Edited by Ron Clarke

nice one Ron, tried to have a go at this one again last night as it was straight overhead, but PHD was playing up for some reason and wouldn`t guide, never really had any problem with Phd before, typical.

I didn't get going till 11.30pm either!! Goto played up, camera played up and PHD was looking for eqmod!! Finally sorted and practiced on m13 then a few on M101, nearly 2am before I finished the Darks!! :huh:

i was still going at 2.45 am, so didn`t bother with darks as it was starting to get light L.O.L.

stars on the phd screen where showing up in different places on the screen causing making PHD unable to lock on.

Very nice Ron.

One day I will image this once I find it. :lol:

Are you using a light pollution filter ron, as it's got a bit of a green hue to me.

Jd

Nice image Ron gonna try that one myself soon

Guest NadeemShah

Yep, top draw stuff, nice beast of a scope you got there, wish i still had mine...

Edited by NadeemShah

Only a CLS filter on the Canon James, re-processed photo is better I think. I try to remove the filter 'cast' in the DSS histogram before saving.

Thanks Nadeem, it's a scope I won't be upgrading!!

Cheers

Ron

Ron, I hope you don't mind but I pasted your re-processed image into CS2 and clicked "image", "adjustments", "auto-colour", and the image went much less green; I've no idea what colour M51 should be, but it's quite creamy-white on the poster in my office. I've pasted the one I did next to yours to show the comparison:

Ron-green_zps05c39d13.jpg

I recently was messing around with M57 with my DSLR and that same CLS filter, and it does generate some odd colour artefacts. When I stacked in DSS I selected "auto-align RGB" (or something) in the settings prior to stacking as I'd been told that helps normalise the colour a bit more.

I am loving these DSOs, and with the planets not being best positioned for a few years to come, maybe it's time I got a real telescope :)

JD

Don't mind at all James, I'll check that setting in DSS. One thing I have noticed though, images look a lot 'cleaner' on my big laptop than they do on my big PC screen and as I tend to use the laptop to process, it could be the cause of a slight discolouration?? I know screens and computers vary so I will check them on my PC as well.

That's only 1.5 hours of data and I would like to add to it when it's clear again!!

You're not the only one I know who's drifting from Planetary to DSO imaging!

Can recommend the MN190 astrograph, best scope I've ever owned!!

Cheers

James

Ron, I had an issue with using my laptop screen too. I'd process my images on it, but when looking on any other device (desktop or iphone), the images would be very different. That is why I borrowed someone's Spyder device (like this http://www.nativedigital.com/spyder4pro/?gclid=CLjqtv-mlL4CFYrjwgod95kAsw) which attempted to normalise the displays of the laptop and the desktop. I've since re-formatted the laptop so I must do it again or remember just to process on the desktop. I suspect that is where you may be getting some green being introduced. I'll try and find that setting in DSS too to show you.

How easy or not is the MN190 to collimate? I've worked out how to collimate a newt, but still not had a go with the C11 yes, even though I now think it is slightly out of collimation. Damian Peach says he collimates his C14 every time he sets up! He made is sound so easy, but I'm not so sure.

jD

Here is a screen shot of DSS. When registering the files, click "stacking parameters" and on the first tab (results) at the bottom is the "align RGB Channels in final image" option; check this and it then sorts out the colour issues which the CLS clip filter introduces. I can't claim any credit for this, I think it was Leigh who showed me this.

JD

Ron-RGBalign_zpsb6ffbaef.jpg

I've had to adjust the collimation (slightly) twice this year! But remember it's on a pier and permanently mounted which makes a difference I think. It's easy to do, i use a Hotech and fitted Bob's knobs!

Agree about the screen colours and will check this Spyder device when I can.

Cheers

Ron

James, I did not have that box checked, doing a restack now to check, Thanks  :)

Looks much more natural Ron. Maybe you just need more data to bring the spiral arms out more. It's all about personal taste and probably a balance of maximising the data you have, against processing to the absolute max.

I think it looks better.

JD