• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Timelapse / Star Trail help needed.

Perkil8r

Took the ZWO out for a blast last night but clearly didn't think this through :facepalm:

Took 2 hrs worth of 7 sec exposures at 2mm f/l to try and do some sort of either timelapse or star trail thing with it all. I also have dark frames to get rid of all the noise.

I did run it through Registax 6 with "no align" hoping it would make a star trail, but it's just made a clean static looking image with nice round stars :facepalm:

So, what can I do with the 3.8 or so Gb of data I now have sat on the obsy laptop? Anybody done anything like this? I need to apply the master dark to each of the 1000 or so frames in order to clean them up, but then what? Is there some software that will clean up the Avi with darks or will it only do that with the finished stack?

The software andyboy has linked to is what i've used but with stills. Any video i've made has been from stills and made with picasa.

If you can fragment the avi up into stills then you could make the star trail (or time lapse) that way and the software above can be used to detract darks. There is software which can make stills from video as i extracted some scenes from youtube like video once for a presentation, but can't remember what it was called. Not sure of the quality of the stills you'll get from the avi anyway.

Can pipp process an avi and output it as still? Firestone maybe?

Sorry.

Jd

Just loaded PIPP and it will convert a video file into stills (either BMPs or TIFFs).

I would have a go at doing that, and then loading the data subs and the darks into the star trails software.

JD

Super, I will have a look later thanks. :)

It's just occurred to me that the file is on the obsy laptop, and the processing software is on this one :facepalm: The only software on the obsy laptop is Registax, Maxim, DSS and Sharpcap. I can see I may need to make some decisions and re format the HD on that one and clear some space so I can use it for the obsy full time rather than having it full of junk as is the case at the minute.