• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moon Filter with Binoviewer

Bino-viewer

Just a quickie.......

I received a Baader neutral density moon filter the Christmas before last. I'm not quite sure why i had one on my Xmas list so i  put it in my astro case & promptly forgot about it. I guess i thought it may come in handy when using my old mono Vixen eyepieces (now sold) for high power lunar observation.

I was never much of a lunar observer then ; i often found the moon a hindrance in my already light polluted back yard, so never thought about it.

Fast forward a year, and things have changed. Using both eyes (the way nature intended) for this hobby has completely reignited my observing to

such an extent that the moon is now my favourite object to view.

I've had some simply jaw dropping lunar views using my binoviewers. The views i've had have been spot on from a contrast and brightness point of view.

One night a couple of months ago, i remembered the filter. I had been viewing Lunar at max power (bino, 2.6 GPC / 13mm Naglers giving 185x mag)

A thought came to me : i thought i'd compare the view in cyclops mode using my old Vixen LVW 5mm.

I changed over an had a look....... :black_eye: .....and was nearly BLINDED !!  My dark adapted eyes were shot for the rest of the session !

In short, looking at a bright moon, unfiltered at 185x came as a bit of a shock, but also proved an interesting point.

I'd forgotten how bright the moon was (this is why you use filters, dummy  :facepalm: )  but also......it showed me just how much binoviewers dim bright objects like the moon. The light going into any binoviever hits a 'beam splitter', (a prism) and basically makes the moon / planets look dimmer.

Is this a good or a bad thing ??   Well, i've done plenty of lunar and Jupiter observing this year, and i've never felt that the views have look dim. 

Lunar looks just right to me, and i've never felt the need to use a moon filter with the bino.

The said filter is pretty much redundant now and i've listed it in the for sale section.

( its a Baader neutral density 0.9 standard 1.25", listed at FLO for £25.  I'll let it go for £15 inc p & p )

Bye for now  ;)

Guest devil74

Sounds like a bonus to me Rob, certainly on Lunar. On a planet like Jupiter that has been bright this year with being nearer zenith I suppose it's debatable whether its a good or bad thing, just down to personal preference.

The trade off with the binoviewers 'splitting' and thus dimming the image is perhaps the increase in detail you get through not being 'blinded', and the fact that you're brain constructs a better, sharper image with two incoming light sources.

I have never tried binoviewers but would love to. I can imagine the depth perception as well as detail is so much better than 'cyclops' viewing. You only have to close one eye and depth perception is awful.

Hi Damian.

How's the 5mm ? Have you been dazzled with it too , lol !

I see you have a AZ EQ6 as well.....cool. Any thoughts on it ?

I'd love to show you the binos sometime......

I'll soon be getting a Newtonian 'adapter' for binoviewing, and a few other bits too.....

Guest devil74

Yeah too right Rob...i gave it a whirl a few weeks ago on Lunar...well it was so bright i now need new retina's  ;) .

The AZEQ6 is going good..on;y had chance to get it out a couple of times and that was just to practice PA etc. I think what tipped me towards a mount Rob was the the frustration of continually having to 'nudge' the dob. The way the it was mounted to bring it to a comfortable viewing position just lead to more vibration.

Anyway I would love to come and look through the bino's sometime, so when you have them out again let me know, i'm very curious about what they can deliver. If bino's suited me (I know they don't suit everyone) I would certainly go for a pair...which would be much easier weight wise with the mount than the balance issues associated with the dob.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with them on the newt...i hear they can be difficult to achieve focus with.

Keep me updated and I think you have my number so give me a shout when you bino-viewing again.