• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Possible Pulsar?

ricktom

hello all

I was out watching last Saturday night, i was mostly trying to get the best view i could of Mars, i stayed out till approx 11.30 and just before i started packing away i remembered that M104 was below Mars on the star chart so i thought would spend some time trying to find it (alas no) but i was just moving the telescope when some thing caught my eye, there was one of the stars below mars and to the right flashing similar to some one signalling with a torch(rubbish description), i timed the flashes and they were approx 5 to 6 seconds apart, it definitely was not an aircraft or anything similar,the brightness of the flashing was quite strong and then it seemed to lose what intensity it had and sort of just faded so that i could hardly make it out, i have had a look in my book and star chart but it does not say anything, i have been on tinternet and the only thing i can think of is that i stumbled on to a pulsar, could this be what it was?

i have a Sky watcher 120 refractor, would it be possible to see something like that with my telescope!

Regards

Rick 

sounds like it could have been sunlight reflecting off a satellite.

Hi

I did think of something like that, but i seen and tried to track a satellite, but this was as stationary as the stars around it, never mind, thanks for replying

Rick

Could it have been a geostationary satellite? That would remain stationary against the background, or close to. You could have another look on another night if you know the position it was in, if it's still there it might help discount the satellite theory :)

Doubt is was a pulsar, the closest pulsar to Earth is the one in M1, the Crab Nebula, general consensus is that the pulsar in M1 is visable optically in a 1 meter + scope, I doubt any kit we have can "see" a pulsar. Most pulsars are detected via the radio pulses they give off, I strongly doubt you have seen a pulsar.

I'm going iridium flare of a satellite.

Apologies everyone, I think my enthusiasm and wonder is not yet matched by my experience.  

rick

No apologies required Rick.

If you don't ask you don't learn. :2thumbsup: