• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is it getting worse ?

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

Many years ago I used a t'scope in London, then gave up astro until last year.

I don't recall that there were so many cloudy nights in those days. 

Things seem to be getting worse, especially in the last year since I started again, or is it just my pessimism ? :(

Cloudwise, is it getting worse?

This year has been terrible so far. I can't remember the last clear night we had :(

Bit worse this year. But the year before was not too bad. Hope next winter is good :)

Edited by Sheila

It would be a very boring world if everything was uniform - all the stars would be lined up and there would be no high intensity Nebs/Galaxies etc . The weather is the same but I would like better "Guesses" by the weather people so at least one could plan and make sure your not visiting or being visited by someone on nights when the skies are clear.

My prediction is that Autumn will be very clear but very cold , followed by winter with deep snow with heavy frosts (-20) BUT clear skies - my guess is as good (or bad) as the weather people  :D

IMHO "its swings and round about's" and for the UK we just have to put up with it cos it goes with where we live- plus over time its not been getting any worse just had good and bad.  ;)

CLEAR NIGHT TONIGHT FOLKS :)

Shhhhhhhhhh - you will wake the cloud god up  ;)

And behold last night was a good one here......

Got to bed not much before dawn.

Only disappointment was that I failed to see M104 and still on my list to see.

Ade

good nights imaging... not looked at data yet though.  picked a difficult target so we will see how I did :wacko:

And then there was rain and cloud -----   Grrrrr!

Roll on the next clear night.......

Ade

• 1 month later...

A lot of whether it is clear/cloudy is subjective. If I look through my records I observe something about 50% of the days of the year, even if it is only the Sun through binoculars. This seems about constant most years.

• 3 months later...

Hi Richard,

I'm finding that as time goes on I am looking for more difficult targets that require better skies. Often I look out and deem it "not worth it" if there's a bit of haze or moon. Certainly light pollution has become much worse as time has gone on so the cloud has become more obtrusive. I wonder if the increase in air traffic has had an effect.

Guest peepshow

Friday night approaches.  It's pouring with rain here.    Cloud all the week too.

Weather forecaster on TV this afternoon was heard to say, "It's going to be a starry night."

So, get out yer gear, lads.......and don't forget the umbrella. :D

Edited by peepshow

Guest fondofchips

Nice & clear, fired up the obsy, now cloudy again. 

Weather forecast today was what I call an 'insurance forecast'.  They tell you it going to do a bit of everything and then they can't be wrong.

Alan (Werisit) - I live near East Midlands Airport and have had to wait in the past for over an hour for the jet engine trails to clear. 

The other night right on cue for the ISS passover....yes you guessed it the sky was full of aeroplanes and high cloud, grrrrr!

Best of luck tonight.

Cheers,

Harry.

Guest peepshow

A clear night.  Hallelujah. :)

I live nearer to EM airport than you do, Harry.   Swad is 6 miles further north from me.

The trials are all over here at times.