• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Guide Camera

Guest Lad98

Guest Lad98

Ok I'm still only a beginner, and after having some success I think its time to move on to the dark art of Guiding. 

I bought a modded xbox cam months ago. I have tried using this for guiding but don't seem to be able to locate any stars with it just lots of noise.

Can you recommend a good camera for guiding that isn't going to break the bank or be overly complicated to use.

I have PHD and was trying to use the xbox cam with this software without any success .

Or maybe someone out there uses the xbox cam and can point out my failings .

Thanks in advance Gary

I have had success using a Philips webcam, work well but do take alittle setting up, also the field of view is a bit small but they do work,

Have a look a gliders tutorial on guiding with a webcam, very helpfull.

After that the next camera to consider would be a qhy5

I'm using a QHY5II with a finder scope. I've generally had good success with it.

Hi Gary, if it helps I use a QHY5 Mono with a finder/guider with no problems using PHD (not 2.0)

Cheers

Ron

Ok I'm still only a beginner, and after having some success I think its time to move on to the dark art of Guiding. 

I bought a modded xbox cam months ago. I have tried using this for guiding but don't seem to be able to locate any stars with it just lots of noise.

Can you recommend a good camera for guiding that isn't going to break the bank or be overly complicated to use.

I have PHD and was trying to use the xbox cam with this software without any success .

Or maybe someone out there uses the xbox cam and can point out my failings .

Thanks in advance Gary

Hi Gary

You do not say what you are trying to guide with as regards a scope.

You will find that the difference between a star being in focus and visible in PHD and being out of focus an not visible is very very small with this webcam.

Try starting off by focusing on the moon with it then move onto a star.

The difference in focus between the two will be very little unlike your main scope.

Guest Lad98

yes sorry should have given more details,

I've been trying to use it with an ST80.

I managed to focus on Jupiter but I get nothing when looking at M101 for instance.

It would be great if its just me doing something wrong, if not, time to raid the piggy bank.

Guest Philmarriott

Im having the exact same problem with my spc900. Its too noisy and I cannot get any stars visible to track..... Not getting enough time to practice though with this weather! St80 too. Must be settings as its been done many times in the past.

Deffinately settings.

I used my spc and st 80 for a couple of years to guide with before it died.

I always set up a new camera using a capture program this way you can target a small star using an ep then put the web cam in and adjust the settings untill it is correct.

You can then move over to your guide program knowing it is set up correctly.

Edited by Graham