• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Derby!

Seamaster

Hi everyone, I have just signed up on here and would like to breifly introduce myself.

I was into astronomy as a child and young man but never had the means to invest in a scope or even high quality binos.

I read (or flicked through to be honest) a few books, the best (or at leat the biggest!) one which I no longer have was the "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Astronomy".

It was a huge hard backed beauty!

However, girls and alocohol crept into my life and my interest faded into the background of my mind, smouldering away but never being fanned back into a flame.

Anyhoo, I have promised myself a scope and a foray back into this facinating hobby for a while and now I think I would like to take the plunge...I hope the waters not cold!

I am still looking into which scope to buy  and finding it confusing!

I have a budget of £580 max (an odd amount I know but it really is a max!)

I would appreciate any advice on types and models, makes etc as retailers advice is usually different and probably biased on their own range and profit margins!

I like the look of the Celstron "Nexstar" 5SE but it would max my budget and leave me with no funds for extra eye pieces or a power pack option.

The Skywatcher "Skymax" 127 also looks on paper as good as the SE5 but is a Maksutov Cassegrain rather than a Scmidt Cassegrain? Does that make much or any difference?

Is that type of scope my best all round option for my budget or will a refractor or reflector give me more bang for buck?

I am interested in observing everyhting really from DSO's to planets so a good all rounder with a decent aperture size and a good field of vision would be good.

I favour "GoTo" equipped scopes purley on the basis that I won't really know what to point it at otherwise and will quickly exhaust my (very) limited knowledge of what's up there to look at and where it is!....

However....

Will my cash be better spent on a manual non computerised scope?

Will that get me a noticably or significantly better scope?

Will the benefits of that "superior" manual scope be negated by the frustration of not knowing what and where to point it at?

anyway, thanks in advance and I look forward to getting to know both the skies and you all better.

any good local clubs in Derby?

Neil.

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.  I will leave the visual scope advice to some of the experts on here.

I am mainly imaging.  Budget seems reasonable and you might get goto and a reflector for that.

But as I said will leave that to the non darksiders to advise

Sheila

Hi Neil and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

First thing - don't worry - the same stars are there since you were a child so you haven't missed anything - the water's still warm lol. £580 is a good budget for a starter set up and I would advise to leave around a third of that for essential extras. So you would be looking for a scope and goto mount for around £400.

In terms of general purpose scopes - there really is no such thing - but you can come reasonably close with a good sized Sct. The range of objects and techniques is so diverse that it's easier to get a specific scope for a specific purpose - and three different types of scope usually covers most stuff. Also you can get more for your money buying "used" equipment - if carefully chosen it's a very feasible option.

It's all a steep learning curve however and it would be good for you to attend an EMS observing meeting and appraise yourself of the different models available and how they are used. Alternatively (due to the current state of our dark sites) I'd be happy spend an hour or two over a cuppa discussing astronomy and going over my kit with you. I have a pretty comprehensive range of gear that covers most everything - just let me know if you're interested and we can arrange a get together.

There is an astro soc in Derby and there's several around like IDAS, Notts Astro soc, Leicester AS, to name a few - see our clubs and societies section for more info - but it's hard to beat EMS for an active and friendly observing group. Enjoy the forum! :)

Edited by Brantuk

hi Neil and welcome to the forum,

to find which scope best suits you is abit of a nightmare for anyone starting out but for your budget i think that a goto mount will swallow all of your budget for a good one, if your looking for visual use in Derby area then i would say something like a dob would be best as i`m sure that you`ll have some light pollution,

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian.html

second hand alot less.

big mirror means you`ll be able to see the fainter things up there, finding objects in the sky can be difficult but alot of the members here can show you how they do it faster than a goto scope with only a book for reference, 

try to get to one of the meets, with luck the Belper site.

Hi welcome to the forum.

Some good advice above, getting a GOTO mount will seriously make a dent in your budget as your are paying for all the electronic gizmos, where as on a manual setup you can go bigger as you are paying for the optics and not the gizmos.

Bigger usually means you can see more objects but you have to find them by hand, where GOTO usually means smaller scope so won't see as much or as clear but the scope will find it for you.

Question you have to ask yourself, which is more important?

Good luck.

as Daz says look at this set up for goto

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5-goto.html

without on a dob base

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

you pays your money and takes your choice.  There are some second hand goto setups to be had at reasonable prices.  Try coming

to a dark site meet and looking at the scopes before you make up your mind??  Although it could be into September before the visual

guys are there with their set ups

Sheila

Guest devil74

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.

I started out with a 10" dob which was an excellent choice...so much bang for the buck. It also forced me to learn the sky as I needed to know where I was pointing...But don't worry too much about that it will just come with time.

If I was you take Kim up on his offer as he has some cracking gear and will give you good sound advice.

Also if this cloud ever disappears try and make it to a meeting...it really is helpful to see what gear is out there.

Enjoy the forum

Damian

as Daz says look at this set up for goto

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5-goto.html

without on a dob base

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

you pays your money and takes your choice.  There are some second hand goto setups to be had at reasonable prices.  Try coming

to a dark site meet and looking at the scopes before you make up your mind??  Although it could be into September before the visual

guys are there with their set ups

Sheila

Hi Sheila, they look the ticket but out of my price range with the GoTo.

Perhaps second hand?

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.

I started out with a 10" dob which was an excellent choice...so much bang for the buck. It also forced me to learn the sky as I needed to know where I was pointing...But don't worry too much about that it will just come with time.

If I was you take Kim up on his offer as he has some cracking gear and will give you good sound advice.

Also if this cloud ever disappears try and make it to a meeting...it really is helpful to see what gear is out there.

Enjoy the forum

Damian

Thanks Damian I may just do that! 

When are the meets?

Hi Neil and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

First thing - don't worry - the same stars are there since you were a child so you haven't missed anything - the water's still warm lol. £580 is a good budget for a starter set up and I would advise to leave around a third of that for essential extras. So you would be looking for a scope and goto mount for around £400.

In terms of general purpose scopes - there really is no such thing - but you can come reasonably close with a good sized Sct. The range of objects and techniques is so diverse that it's easier to get a specific scope for a specific purpose - and three different types of scope usually covers most stuff. Also you can get more for your money buying "used" equipment - if carefully chosen it's a very feasible option.

It's all a steep learning curve however and it would be good for you to attend an EMS observing meeting and appraise yourself of the different models available and how they are used. Alternatively (due to the current state of our dark sites) I'd be happy spend an hour or two over a cuppa discussing astronomy and going over my kit with you. I have a pretty comprehensive range of gear that covers most everything - just let me know if you're interested and we can arrange a get together.

There is an astro soc in Derby and there's several around like IDAS, Notts Astro soc, Leicester AS, to name a few - see our clubs and societies section for more info - but it's hard to beat EMS for an active and friendly observing group. Enjoy the forum! :)

Hi Kim and thanks. 

I may well take you up on your kind offer soon.

Are you off J22 M1?

I bet Bradgate Park would be a good observing spot if access is available after dark?

Hi welcome aboard. What scope, what scope??? Get along to a few meets have a play with some kit and see what suits you, and what you want to look at, best. Most of us don't bite and welcome the chance to show off our kit.

clear skies.

Hello from me.

Welcome to EMS.

I'm a dirty visual guy (kit in sig) I personally feel you'd be better getting a non goto setup. Yes it can be slower finding things, but you get to learn the sky better and you'll get much more aperture for your hard earned ££££

As for meets, they often get called a few days (or less) before, in the ems meets area. They are largely weather dependant so can pop up quickly if we get a nice clear spell. We've got 2 dark sites, one in belper and one in wymeswold, your first visit is free but after that it's £20 per year for dark site membership.

Good idea to come to a meet first to have a look at and through other peeps kit. Really helps you make the best choice.

Enjoy the forums

Hi Neil - yes I'm off J22 very near to Bradgate Park - but unfortunately the car park gates are locked up from dusk till dawn each day and there's no way I'm lugging gear up Old John. But if you drop round during a clear evening I can always set something up in the yard or on the drive for a demo. :)

Edited by Brantuk

Hi Neil - yes I'm off J22 very near to Bradgate Park - but unfortunately the car park gates are locked up from dusk till dawn each day and there's no way I'm lugging gear up Old John. But if you drop round during a clear evening I can always set something up in the yard or on the drive for a demo. :)

I'm not surprised about Bradgate being locked up, too much "poach able" wildlife!

Can't say I blame you about old John either, that's hard work even with no baggage.

I will PM you regarding a meet up but have a busy week or so coming up.

Regarding observing, can you help me manage my expectations regarding what I will see inc size and clarity of image on the budget I have?

For example, to see Saturns rings and even a bit of colour and dare I say it even the Cassini division and striping, would that be unrealistic on my budget?

Hi Neil, welcome to EMS. :-)

Thanks, it will make a change from putting my money into overpriced Swiss watches!

There are £400 scopes that will easily see Saturn's rings - and with a bit of "eye training" and close scrutiny, they will also reveal the Cassini Division. You'll see colour  in solar system objects for sure - and also one or two dso's like Albireo. But otherwise all dso's will appear as black and white in the eyepiece - sometimes a little grey (eg nebulae). Only cameras can reveal colour - the human eye can't actually see colour at astronimical distances.

In terms of viewable size - this all depends on which object, how much magnification is used, and prevailing viewing conditions. There's quite a few variables to be aware of, and often it's better to have a clearer, sharper, smaller view than a larger fainter one. Either way you won't be disappointed. :)

Edited by Brantuk

Just to give you another personal perspective on what you can see .

With my scope (Skywatcher 8" newt dob) I can see the Cassini division on Saturn, with Jupiter I have seen the 2 distinct bands, the (not so great great) red spot, Jupiters moons, onto Mars, I have seen the polar ice caps, and some other service detail. globular clusters look good, I have even seen some colour in M57 the ring nebula, seen the wispy form of the veil nebula, I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, do not look at pictures in magazines etc and expect to see detail like that, that us only achievable with cameras, processing, time and patience (and cash) :)

Ohh, and all visible in a scope costing £279 brand new!

Edited by Daz Type-R

Hi Neil, a warm welcome to EMS.

It's a funny feeling we have all been through, all that cash just waiting to give a scope a new home....but which scope?

If your'e a bit of a handy man, there are mods that can be made for a modest sum that will turn a basic manual Dob into a push-to scope. You get the co-ordinates off a program such as Stellarium, (  http://www.stellarium.org/ ) and then just move the scope that position. It doesn't sound right, but if you polar align the Dob well, the target will generally be in the field of view of the eyepiece.

There are a few of us that have done this, and it works very well. I think Daz did 14 new Messiers in one night.

For my tuppence worth, if you are going visual, get the biggest aperture you can for your money, it will reward you with the views you get. Finding objects can be tricky, but grab a pair of Bino's, anything 8X40's or 10X50's, they will show you if you are in the right area.

If you spot a scope which takes your fancy, feel free to ask if it's any good on the forum,  people who have had, or got one will let you know if it's a good investment or not. Don't buy a Lemon.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Guest fondofchips

Hi Neil & welcome to EMS.

Manual vs GOTO - I have both & the manual setup is still fun to use with the added bonus that you find your way round the night sky quicker.

Large scopes - best to see them in the flesh as they can be a bit of a surprise when the box is opened!

Plenty of friendly, helpful & knowledgeable people on here, so just ask.

Cheers,

Harry.

Hi Neil & welcome to EMS.

Manual vs GOTO - I have both & the manual setup is still fun to use with the added bonus that you find your way round the night sky quicker.

Large scopes - best to see them in the flesh as they can be a bit of a surprise when the box is opened!

Plenty of friendly, helpful & knowledgeable people on here, so just ask.

Cheers,

Harry.

Hi and thanks.

Actually, having done a bit of homework and as well as simply finding things up there I need to assess how much setting up time is required on a manual mount for when I want to just "have a quick half hour to an hour" or not to miss the clear sky window tying myself up in tripod and counter weights etc?

Or perhaps it's actually quicker to set up for "quickie" or "AD hock" sessions?

At this rate the only use I will have for a level is to ensure I dribble out of both sides of my mouth!!!

I went round a friends house last week with a Skytee-2, Tal100RS, and SW127 Mak and had it set up with both scopes and finders aligned in ten or twelve mins. An EQ mount would take a similar time for observing - a little longer for polar alignment and imaging. You can never really tell how long it's gonna take - I had a well known expert help me set up an NEQ6 once and it took him the best part of 45mins.

But on average most scopes take no more than 10-15mins to get up and running for observing. When you drop round we'll go through it all and you'll see first hand. :)