• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

open day and solar observing at Shipley park 5th July.

IDAS will be holding an open day and solar observing (cloud gods permitting) event at the visitors centre at Shipley park from 10:30 am on Saturday July the 5th.

feel free to drop by for a look or just to say hi.

• 4 weeks later...

Andy, what time will this go onto, if the weather is good wouldn't mind poping along but can't make it until the afternoon.

Hi all,

The Open Day will take place between 10:30am and 4pm on Saturday July 5th.  Our static display of drawings and photographs will be on show at Shipley Park Visitor Centre throughout July.  Some of us hope to do some solar observing  - weather permitting!!

Cheers

Monmouth3817

As above Daz, thanks Mark. Be nice to see you Daz. Will be nice to actually get a scope out after all this rubbish and light skies.

Well we got lucky with the weather. :)

Took the family down this afternoon.

I managed to see quite a few sun spots today both through Andy's scope and another members scope who had a green filter in as well as the white light filter. Took the family down so didn't get to see much of what was happening inside but my son (4) wife and mother in law were all impressed, all hadn't viewed the sun before. My son kept asking for looks, hopefully he is hooked.

On a very positive note, my wife asked how much solar filters were, when I said around £50 she asked why I had not got one!!!

Guess what I have just ordered - bonus!

So thanks to the IDAS I have a new astro purchase, now we can do solar at home!

Cheers guys, didn't spend as much time with you as I would if liked, but at least I got to look through a scope!

Thanks for Coming along Daz, nice to see you and the family. I take it you don't need me as a witness any more!!

Thanks to everyone who helped out and visited today. Not as good a turn out as last year but still a fair few people got to view the sun and some lovely groupings of sun spots in between the clouds. Needless to say the cloud cleared as soon as we packed, astronomers luck!!

We will be returning to Shipley park for another session on sat the 26th of July.

More of the same at kirk hallam lake side festival tomorrow.

Edited by tuckstar