• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

BST EP's

Perkil8r

Just popped out very briefly before I have my tea, popped the BST 8mm I got the other week in for a quick squint at Jupiter in twilight, OMG! They are sooooo much better than the EP's I got with the scope! I think a combination of the flocking and the BST has made a huge difference. Can't wait for my tea now so I can get out there and give it some proper looking at. Also, all the work I've done over the past few days has made the scope way better than it was, I think collimation makes a bigger difference than I thought it would.

It sounds like it's all coming together nicely Mike. Eyepieces vary so much and with all the other mods you have done, I think you have improved your scope loads.

I tried my 8mm BST out last night, equal to my Baader 8-24 Zoom I think! Awaiting a 15mm BST I ordered of Alan last week!

Guest Kheldar

I tried my 8mm BST out last night, equal to my Baader 8-24 Zoom I think! Awaiting a 15mm BST I ordered of Alan last week!

On your PDS I think you will find with further nights out, the Baader will pip it for edge correction and contrast.

However it can't be stated enough, bang for buck you simply can't beat the BSTs :)

Wow! Just come back in to grab my SW 10mm EP so I can try and judge the difference the flocking has made, because I've just been looking at The Nebula in Orion with my jaw on the ground. When I forst got the scope I had a good look and was amazed, but this has just been like seeing it for the first time all over again! The amount of detail is un thinkable. The contrast is amazing. I'm going to try the SW 10mm EP so I can see the difference. I'll be back in a bit, not stopping out too long though, TBH I wish I'd made a plan of things to observe, but I didn't so I'm jumping all over the sky at the minute rather randomly.

I don't think they are quite as good as Hyperions, but they are not far behind.

They give a nice bright and contrasty view, with good eye relief.

Iam very happy with mine, as I was going to buy them to use until I could afford to upgrade. But they have earned their place now, so I may just get more as I need them.

Just in as clouded over! Yes M42 in great detail and good contrast, 4 Trapezium stars easy ! Tried my Baader zoom as, on 8mm there's not

much in it, slightly more contrast and better edge detail maybe? M31 looking really good tonight, 3 million light years away, amazing!!!

With my SW 10mm I have always been able to split the 4 Trapezium stars quite easily. Just tried the 10mm and can report that the flocking has made a noticable difference. However, the BST 8mm is way more contrasty than the SW 10mm. It shows the hole nicely and other than not being in colour obviously, the whole of M42 looks as good as I have ever seen in any pictures IMO. Obviously as I say no colour (of course there never will be) but still very impresive!

I think I managed to find Andomeda for the first time tonight with the scope, not as big as I have heard, so probably not dark adapted enough and was only "seeing" the core, but still happy enough to have actually found what was for me an elusive target. Once I'd found it I managed to find it very easy when going back to Jupiter etc then deciding to have another look. Looking forward to being allowed to open the Telrad as I think it will help my star hopping no end, but I am getting better using the finder scope, which I might add, whilst having really quite good optics is rubbish in regard to the amount of play.

The ADM has also made a huge difference, the whole set up felt a lot more stable than before and doesn't bounce about anything like as much. I would reccomend anybody with an EQ5 to go get one ASAP. Worth every penny IMO.

I seem to have gone slightly off thread somehow, but who cares...... :P I'm "over the moon" with all of the little tweaks I've made so far, now I can start and learn a bit more "observing craft" and start exploring our universe < once these damned clouds go away :angry:

Edited by Perkil8r