• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

That was bonkers.

Daz Type-R

Just had the worst wind and rain I have ever seen and it was all over and done in about 10 minutes.

Just popped out to get a Chinese about 17:00 and made it there fine, while there the rain came gown, the wind picked up to the point trees were blown over, I've never seen horizontal rain before and I watched man hole covers rise out of the road. Our conservatory has leaked as water was coming UP from the bottom of the doors!

The sky was a green grey colour and the noise was something else, never seen anything like it.

Also had massive sized hail, couple that with thunder and lighting, it was a great storm.

Loved it !

:)

You can keep it as well Daz, sunny here with the odd cloud! ;)  :D

Edited by Ron Clarke

Yeah we got that, one of our cats ran through it, every hair is wet and  she ain't  impressed. Fool.:D

We didn't have the hail daz, but it stopped play at the airport for half an hour, two planes diverted and lightning hit the ramp about a couple of hundred feet from the crew room with the biggest crack I've ever heard , everyone was running for cover.

Nothing down here, saw pictures of giant hailstones up your way on Twitter.

Last year the new radar tower next to our hangar at Luton was hit, we had just stepped outside when it hit, the noise was deafening and the flash was unreal. Needless to say the radar stopped spinning for about 2 days!

I was out cycling in this at Clay Cross on a charity bicycle ride, manhole covers were lifting and roads turned into rivers within minutes, luckily we managed to take refuge under a petrol station for a few minutes whilst the worst of it past.

I experienced this storm in Freefall unfortunately and up there it was actually hail! The lighting looked amazing but the pain if the hail hitting my chest/stomach/throat as I fell at 120mph was, shall we say less than comfortable! Was crazy as we were flying up in the plane it was lovely, as I climbed out of the plane it turned in a split second!

zysebera.jpg

a5u8ynyd.jpg

Wow, I was amazed at how fast it came and went, those looked painful!

I also forgot to mention that the hail / wind / rain has completly stripped one side of my shed of all it's paint, it's back to bare wood with marks where the hail hit.

Guest Tweedledum

Felix,

Hasn't anyone explained to you that jumping out of a plane is dangerous :D .. Have a friend who is  a gliding pilot instructor, had a wing hit by lightning and had to make a very hasty exit....

Glad you are ok!

Felix,

Hasn't anyone explained to you that jumping out of a plane is dangerous :D .. Have a friend who is a gliding pilot instructor, had a wing hit by lightning and had to make a very hasty exit....

Glad you are ok!

Ha ha! Yeah it's had been mentioned Damian ;)

Was a great few days jumping aside from the freak storm jump. Managed to squeeze my 200th in yesterday with a 7 way speedstar to get my C License so I can now commence wing suit flight training and also attach a video camera to my helmet too now that I have attained that :)

Felix, ouch, awesome experience though! :blink:

Well I wouldn't say awesome really Caroline, aside from the pain I had to lay my canopy out all night in the hangar to let it dry which want I had to pack first thing in the morning! That's the one downside of skydiving is getting the damn thing back in the container! Other than that it's all good fun when the weathers nice :) I can certainly so without jumping in those kinds of conditions again believe me :)

Probably a silly question, Felix, but if your'e free-falling through the storm, how did you get hit on the back of your neck?

Alan

Awesome!....get that wingsuit Felix, would love to see the footage. Congrats.

Cheers

Damian

Cheers Damian, I'll go as quick as I can but it's extremely expensive. I am actually contemplating selling up my astro gear to fund the skydiving as I just don't earn enough to be able to put the capital I need into my training and progression in skydiving so something has to give unfortunately. I'm still umming and ahhing but it's looking likely that if I want to progress to more advanced flight I'm gonna need a lump sum of cab up front hence the contemplation of selling up astro gear.

Probably a silly question, Felix, but if your'e free-falling through the storm, how did you get hit on the back of your neck?

Alan

Hey Al, the pic is actually of my throat rather than the back of my neck. I am looking up at the ceiling and taking a "selfie" with my phone. A couple of friends jumped out in a "sit fly" position and they faired worse than me, let's just say I cannot post the pic of his rear on a public forum but it looked extremely painful. The reason it was so much worse was that in a sit fly position the speeds achieved are so much faster than flying with your belly facing the ground. I think he clocked 156mph on his pro-track on his jump, whereas my max speed was 123mph on that jump.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Felix,

Was in the unenviable position of having to sell ALL my gear a while ago from the 10" SCT down. Now you may have heard the phrase "tackle tart" I am a "tackle tramp" :-) ... Have now got a reasonable amount of kit at absolutely the lowest cost.

So don't think twice, sell your kit and pursue a hobby that you can enjoy. A pair of binos, the mark one eyeball or drop in on a meet and you are sorted for viewing... (And of course there are those who would lend you the odd scope!)

Always look up,,,,,,except in your case when you are approaching the ground at terminal velocity.....

Good luck , but you don't really need it...

Best regards

Damian

Thanks Damian :) I'm keeping binos and tripod but the rest will be going when I have sorted it all out and photographed items etc.

Thanks Damian :) I'm keeping binos and tripod but the rest will be going when I have sorted it all out and photographed items etc.

:(

Gutted for you Felix.

At least it will go to a good cause and something else that you love doing, who knows, we could book you for a fly by at EMS 4.

Thanks Daz, it is a bit sad but I have had a great time doing astro properly and have achieved some nice results but as I say, having two expensive hobbies is a stretch too far unfortunately. As for an EMS flyby I am not rated for public displays.....yet :)

Edited by catman161

Ouch that looks well painful. I didn't think they would allow you to jump with a thunder storm so near. Is there no risk of being sucked upwards into the cloud or is that just a scare story

Hey Al, the pic is actually of my throat rather than the back of my neck. I am looking up at the ceiling and taking a "selfie" with my phone. 

That'll teach me to look at pics on a small screen... :rolleyes: