• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Solar Observing with NexStar 4

Guest northernstar

Guest northernstar

I would really like to give solar viewing a go with my NexStar 4se.  I am struggling to find the appropriate filter(s) that I need to safely do this.  Does anyone have any ideas what I need and where I can possibly purchase them?

If you don't want to make your own, then have a look here.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

Select the appropriate diameter to fit the front of your scope and this will give you "white light" views.

This will show you sunspots, but nothing like a dedicated solar scope can show.

I find if I stick a  UHC and a yellow filter in this gives a more pleasing view, and will sometimes show granulation  around the spots, particularly when they are nearer the limb.

Pop over to Shipley Park near Heanor and visit the IDAS gang, they are holding a solar day to day.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/8341-open-day-and-solar-observing-at-shipley-park-july-26th-2014/#entry95190

Guest northernstar

Thanks Baz, I might just have to get one of these as I really not comfortable trying to make something.

Edited by northernstar

If you are not 100% sure you can make something that will NOT let any light through, then buy one to be safe. 

The only cooking that should be done on a sunny day is on the BBQ, not the rear of your eyeball.

Always hold these up to the light and check for pin holes or damage before putting them on the scope as well, just be sure. Other than that they are the cheapest and most effective way to see the Sun with your scope.

Guest northernstar

No worries, I won't be taking any chances. I would much rather buy one if possible that will fit my scope.