• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Pulling giant rabbits out of small hat.

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

At this link is an image that quite amazed me.

http://www.progressiveastroimaging.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9366

Taken with an unmodded 5D Canon at f4 prime lens and only 400 ISO.

Very short exposures too at 4 minutes (24 of them). 

Yet the number of stars in this image surprised me considering only 4 minute exposure.  The number of 24 subs would not have increased them surely, only smoothed it all out ? 

This image was a lesson for me that processing is THE key.

My 5 minutes never ever show stars as numerous as this image, and Greg, who took this, lives in a light polluted area. :o

Noel Carboni must be some magician with his processing.

Richard, have you got Noel Carboni's tools for Photoshop?? About £20 I think now? I use them all the time! Great image, C11+Hyperstar guided works very well! :)

More data gives you more to work with during processing. You will be able to push a stack of an hours worth of subs far more than a single 4 minute sub. Noel Carboni is an expert and can get blood from a stone re images but for us mere mortals more data is the key.

Guest peepshow

Ron, I do have Annies Actions which seems much the same as Noel's, which you have,

but haven't yet got around to using it..........

As a starter to imaging I have  been using the levels and curves in a Faststone app,

so far. 

Phil, as I understand it all, the only way to pull magic out of short exposures as Noel does is

mainly by using levels and curves.   By repeating the subtle use of curves in various ways

seems to be how to get big rabbits out. :)

On light polluted sites how can one obtain more date by long exposures? 

That is why I was so amazed at what Noel achieved with such a short exposure of 4 minutes.

Blood from a stone indeed.