• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st Mintron image with the Mak 180

philjay

What a palava last night. I thought I would just try the Mintron on the Mak 180 before the clouds rolled in. Its been over a year since I last used the Mintron so I bench tested it and all seemed OK. Fitted it all to the scope and... guess what? Yep it didn't work. :blink:

Turned out to be a duff connection on the video capture device.

That wasted half an hour and by this time M13 was the only object that was clear of cloud. So here is a 1 minute capture

m13.jpg

No darks, flats, cropping or any of that fancy imaging stuff, its just as it came out of registax. This is more or less what you see on the screen.

As you can see its pretty big due to the F15 of the scope and small chip of the Mintron.

What is lost in there though is the fact that the old cam has not faired well from disuse over the past year. There are tons of dead pixels in there far more than I remember, they are lost in this image because they look like stars. Very disappointing as this has been a good versatile camera over the years.  

Dead pixels or not, that looks very nice for just 1 minute. :)

Did you stack about 20 or so 2.5 second subs for that Phil?