• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Observing on Exmoor

catman161

I went back home to Devon to see my family this weekend. On Sunday I went with my dad up to the moors above the village of dulverton and boy did we pick a great night for it!

There wasn't a cloud in the sky. The milky way looked amazing and after 20-30 minutes we were both picking out fuzzy objects with just our eyes and pointing the Bins and scope towards them.

We looked at Jupiter,Venus and mars. Saw some great detail on Jupiter which excited my dad. He also very much enjoyed looking at mars. The difference it made being somewhere dark was amazing. I could see M31 naked eye!! I also spotted M44 naked eye for the first time. We spent a lot of time looking at M42.My dad was particularly impressed with both the constellation of Orion and the nebula. I spent a while looking at Auriga and found M36,M37 & M38. I also found M34 & M35 before taking a look at the double cluster.

It was just then that a landrover pulled in and dazzled us with full beam headlights and I uttered quite a few profanities! It turned out to be the police! He was a lovely guy who was very apologetic when he realised what we were doing! He stopped as he thought we may be poachers!! :) We had a chat with him and I showed him the milky way, Orion, Canis Major,Jupiter and M42. I also showed him M44,M45 (through Bins) and the double cluster. He was absolutely blown away. We also saw 3 meteors. Once the local police left we stayed for another 20mins rounding the session to 3 hrs as it was getting very cold (-3).

My dad was so taken that when we got in, instead of going to sleep he was straight in the laptop and then said "is this a good scope?" and he turned the screen to show me the 12 inch Meade LX200!! He then said he might get it! I told him that if he does I would swap it for my 200p as the 200p is better lol!!

Jokes aside it was an absolutely fantastic nights observing (minus the blinding headlights moment!) if only it were like that in my back garden!

Felix

That's great, well done Felix. I've been thinking for a week or so it would be nice to do a astronomy road trip but didn't want to say anything as I haven't got a descent scope "yet".... I bet it looked great, did you get any pics??? Glad you had a good weekend. M.

Dark skies turn a good night into a fantastic night, if only we all lived on Exmoor. Reading your report you sound like a pro, it was only a few months ago that you were completely green.

That's great, well done Felix. I've been thinking for a week or so it would be nice to do a astronomy road trip but didn't want to say anything as I haven't got a descent scope "yet".... I bet it looked great, did you get any pics??? Glad you had a good weekend. M.

No pics I'm afraid. I am not good enough or rich enough to do astrophotography :)

Dark skies turn a good night into a fantastic night, if only we all loved on Exmoor. Reading your report you sound like a pro, it was only a few months ago that you were completely green.

Loved on Exmoor? Oo err misus ;). Ha ha.

I'm far from pro Mick I still dont really know anything, I have just learnt a few names of a few things. Still takes me a while to find them and then re-check to confirm they are what I think they are. I'm very much enjoying the learning though. It was such an amazing night-truly beautiful views.

Smashing report Felix - your folks are dead lucky living near the moors - you're getting ahead of me with the Messiers - I'm gonna have to get out soon just to stay ahead lol. Glad you had such a good time :)

Smashing report Felix - your folks are dead lucky living near the moors - you're getting ahead of me with the Messiers - I'm gonna have to get out soon just to stay ahead lol. Glad you had such a good time

I was so lucky to grow up there and still lucky that my folks live there-though they are thinking of moving :( I very much doubt I'm ahead if you Kim! A good app for iPhone/iPad I have found is free and simply called Messier list and it's just a nice little record where you can tick off each one as you find it. Might be a good one for Di's iPad :) See you tomorrow Kim

Edited by catman161

Hey Felix, what's the camping opportunities like in that area? Sounds like a long weekender in the making.

Hey Felix, what's the camping opportunities like in that area? Sounds like a long weekender in the making.

That's the thing John. I have seen camper vans hauled up for the night in those for want of a more descriptive phrase "Bay areas" off the road but never any tents and I am not sure about whether it is permitted.

In retrospect I should have checked with the local bobby that stopped for a chat. That was the only problem too, those areas are off the road,cars are infrequent but when they did come we heard the engine and turned away from the road and shielded our eyes.

I will do a reccy next time I am down for a larger,flatter area and check re:camping and get back to you on that one.

Felix

Cracking report Felix, you have been at this game for far less time than me and have seen sooooo much more, I`m well jelous!!

The fact I have a little baby boy and a wife who works really odd shifts does seem to hamper my chances of getting out, which is a tad annoying but hay ho, I don't think the universe is going anywhere so should be plenty of time for me to catch up!

Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed the read.

Daz I know what your wife is going through re:shifts I worked crazy shifts in children's a&e for years-not conducive with any kind of hobby. At least the baby front in my line of work, then and still now I get to give the children back to their parents and go home and get the scope out ;).

Like Rusty said we should definitely all try and do a weekend there. I will look into it.

Excellent night there Felix, it's a buzz isn't it.

Here's to many more.

I know it's not Exmoor, but we stayed at a campsite near Ripon, and that was the best Milky Way I have ever seen.

I might ask my son to have a look for a little site we could invade up there, it's only two hours away.

http://www.woodhousewinksley.com/

Excellent night there Felix, it's a buzz isn't it.

Here's to many more.

I know it's not Exmoor, but we stayed at a campsite near Ripon, and that was the best Milky Way I have ever seen.

I might ask my son to have a look for a little site we could invade up there, it's only two hours away.

http://www.woodhousewinksley.com/

Sounds good Martyn. I am up for going anywhere that isn't my back yard ;)

Exmoor was a great milky way but not the best. The best milky way view I have ever had was in New Zealand in the middle of nowhere in a tiny seaside village called whitianga (pronounced fittyanger). That was back in 2008 when I had no real interest in astronomy and the view was so amazing that it made me and the missus just literally stop and stare in amazement. Wish I had been into astronomy then and had at least a pair of bins or something!

Thanks again for the thumb screws went around Kim's tonight and had a few laughs and collimated. The screws work a treat :)

Felix

• 2 months later...
Guest Steve

That sounded great Felix. I'm a Devon lad myself and I plan to take my scope down to Torbay and let my Dad have a look-see as soon as I get a chance.

My best Milky Way was when camping at 12,000 ft in the Himalayas, many years ago. Simply amazing!

It was easily my best nights observing yet.

Where abouts in Devon are you from Steve?

My best milky way was in a tiny town called whitianga (pronounced Fittyanger) on the north island of new Zealand back in 2008. I want into astronomy then, I'm very new to this. I wish I had at least a pair of bins but my fiancée and I just sat on a jetty staring up-that was until I hooked a massive stingray! I was night fishing off the jetty :)

Guest Steve

South Hams - Horrabridge, then Ivybridge, then Paignton, then Leicester. So more of a Dartmoor man than Exmoor.