• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

that dob of mine

cosmic dave

I have to say I was not that impressed with that 8 inch dob of mine, my 90 mm refractor seems to give a clearer view, anyway one more go next clear night and let's see what happens.

There's so many factors that affect the use of any scope. The 200P is a smashing dob but you may have a problem with collimation, or light pollution, or seeing, temperature, eyepieces, object position, etc, etc. Bring it to an obs meeting and I'm sure we can help you - it's a great performer when everything is right :)

Yeah, there is a poorly dob there. It sounds like somethings not right.

When you get a look at a star, put in an eyepiece around 8mm, and defocus it and let us know what you see. You should see concentric circles with a nice demarcated black centre.

If it's triangle in shape, the mirror clips are too tight, I used a piece of baking parchment as a gap gauge, it's about 15 thou thick.

You should just be able to turn the mirror by hand.

I know this one from bitter experience, and was kindly put right by Barry from Beacon Hill.

Dobs will never be as sharp as a refractor due to the central obstruction, but it shouldn't be that noticeable either.

My thoughts exactly, apart from defraction spikes, you shouldn't be able to see that must difference.

Guest wisewoman

Hey there,

Is it a Skywatcher Skyliner Dob you have? i must say that I've been really pleased with mine. It is prone to misting up on damper nights but it's easy to improvise a dew shield. Other than that it sounds like maybe the colimation is out?

Melissa

Everything was cooled and used good quality ep, so its scope or seeing ? No propbs with light polution kim, lol

Hi Dave, don't be shy of popping round one evening and we'll have another look at it ( if you can remember the way ;) )

Cheers paul will do. Think I can get there (god I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere lol)

Very surprised that your 90mm refractor is giving you clearer views. Would be interesting to have a look on Saturday night.