• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bubble Nebula

oldfruit

After seeing Stuarts great image of the Bubble Nebula I thought that I would give this target a go myself.

This was taken last night from my garden. ED80 with 0.8x flattener/reducer on an NEQ6. 40 X 4 minutes lights, 6x darks. I would have had more lights but cloud kept coming and going. So here it is, my attempt at the Bubble Nebula and friends.newbubble_zps11284232.jpg

That has come out rather good Mark. Just one note...are you using flats?

The FOV is very similar with the focal reducer to my 500mm lens.

Unfortunately if I took an image like that from my garden I would end up with 3 constellation stars and a nice orange glow!

That has come out rather good Mark. Just one note...are you using flats? The FOV is very similar with the focal reducer to my 500mm lens. Unfortunately if I took an image like that from my garden I would end up with 3 constellation stars and a nice orange glow!

Hi Stuart, nope I do not use flats as I am still in the early stages of my imaging journey. Doing flats is something I may look at doing in the future. I was actually surprised as I have a cls clip filter for the Canon but decided not to use it to see how the results came out. My garden is actually quite good. The Milky Way is obvious from my garden and I can see the Veil Nebula un-filtered from my garden in the dob, but only just.

Don't be shy about flats, they are quite simple to do if you have got a laptop or even just a desktop monitor...display a white screen, set camera to auto and take some shots (preferably at the end of a session with everything still intact, i.e. focus and reducer etc.)...they will really help to eliminate vignetting and help to get rid of any dust bunnies (which don't seem to be present here mind you).

Regarding the filter, if you don't need to use it then don't...I use one at home which does help but at the in-laws in Baumber and certainly on the hill I didn't use any filters. If I was shooting low towards some LP then I might but otherwise it is just wasting integration time.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing other objects collected from your garden.