Please click here to read an announcement about EMS and the coronavirus.

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Bino-viewer

Discmount DM-6 / Berlebach Uni 18

Bino-viewer

G'day folks.....

After a few weeks of waiting i now have my 'ultimate' Alt-az set-up.

A significant purchase all in all, and i'm now fully clued up in importing gear from the US.

I'm just waiting for a small adapter from Green Witch for my red dot finder (which fits on the mount, not my scope) and i'll be good to go.

Over the next few weeks, i'll be testing it out, getting to grips with the 'Sky-Commander', balancing my scopes properly and letting the mount 'bed in'.

Yes, i'm told by Tom Peters (who runs Discmounts out of Florida) that these mounts need a good bedding in period.

So far, the mount had exceeded my expectations. I'll do a user review in the mount section in due course.

My long awaited tripod arrived this week, and i'm thrilled with it.

I'd been to-ing and fro-ing between the Uni tripods and Planet tripods for a week or two while Berlebach were on factory holiday shutdown

before finally opting for the Uni. My initial tests have shown the tripod to be really solid and the mount is buttery smooth to use. 

In the meantime heres a selection of images with both my scopes set up  :)

15076108502_daf430f0e5_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on Flickr15053459526_37e1f420e6_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 15076114612_fe9e3ddd40_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 15073454491_b9bcdfa712_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 14889881288_4eee77ae2a_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 14889786799_096b1ac890_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 15076480935_968d755dc4_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 15073465701_c6d7f9ba1a_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 15053484296_92759f1fdb_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 14889938457_5725f32dcf_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 15076489825_8c1b15d8d2_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 14889898408_75b39b0ef7_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 15076140412_6ae51c17aa_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 14889952867_351616e702_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 15053506936_47e09fe05c_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 14889916618_1fe6926170_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 14889820039_7001d741df_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on 14889825929_bc9d4aa6d7_c.jpgUntitled by rob.0919, on Flickr

Daz Type-R

Very nice setup you have, I like your collection of Tele Vue ep 's.

How do you go about bedding in a mount though, surely normal operation (slewing too and tracking) is what it's designed for, do you have to slew slower?

;)

BAZ

That's a work of art Rob, it does look a quality bit of engineering. It looks like that will be a keeper for life and I also like the thoughtful addition of a drinks tray for the Lambrini. :lol:

Doc

Simply awesome Rob.

I have looked into the exactly the same set up a few years ago but I had the planet tripod on my list.

But as always things got in the way. This set up oozes quality, well done that man  :thumbsup:

RonC

That looks the dogs do-da's Rob, look forward to first light reports and will we see it at Kelling?  :)

Bino-viewer

Thanks all for your nice comments..... :)

Darren : I guess its like having new brake discs on a car.....new materials take a while to bed in and  reach optimum performance.

Just normal usage is all it takes. Both axis on the mount are adjustable so you have just the right amount of friction needed.

The DM6 is designed to have up to about a kilo of weight 'removed' without the need to rebalance the tube : there are no clutches or motors.

ie i can be looking at say the moon with say my 21Ethos (weight 1.05Kg) and change down to a 13mm (small in comparison) without the scope moving at all. Balance / friction is key.

I love my eyepieces thanks, but i've spent way too much on them in the last couple of years.

I'm about there now.....my goal was to have just 4 eyepiece options. 

2 big 2" wide fields. I'm covered now if i go down the Dob route.   And 2 'pairs' solely for bino-viewing (in the 10 - 24mm range)

Baz :  Yes these mounts are all hand built by Tom Peters. He's semi retired and makes Discmounts very much as a labour of love sort of thing. Hopefully a life-keeper, yes.

The tray is great ; much more useful than on any of my Chinese mounts in the past. Room for a flask and all my mashing gear. And i'm thinking of buying one of those new Tracer cells for powering dew-heaters etc. It can sit on the tray without me falling over it.

Mick : i've wanted a DM6 for about 5 years, but always chickened out due to impairing costs etc.

The weak dollar was a big deciding factor. I needn't have worried though : Tom is a perfect gent, and has helped me all along the way.

The Planet tripod is highly regarded, true. Also over £100 more pricey. Maybe a little overkill for my needs.

Two deciding factors though : the top of the tripod head on the Planet is much bigger. I was worried my scope would hit it when viewing in the 'Dob hole'.

The Uni top is much lower profile, lessening this being an issue. I can reach the zenith with either of my scopes with the Uni, much to my relief.

The other factor is i actually had a Uni 5 years ago but sold it :(  I knew it was the tripod i wanted.

Ron : i'm not much of a camper i have to say, but i'd love to bring it upto Kelling some day  :) If only we could guarantee the weather.

Next things on my shopping list is some more dew gear. Then one of those tracer cells. A smallish one. Also i'm adapting a Telrad to go on the mount.

Maybe Santa will bring me a Baader Herschel wedge if i'm good for the rest of the year........... :chin_scratch2:

Edited by Bino-viewer

jimchelt

Hello Rob

I hope you see this as the topic is now a couple of years old. I really like the setup you have shown here. I've been considering either a DM-6 or DM-4 for a while now but have been unable to find out what extra costs are involved in importing fro the US. Can you give me some idea? I want to mount my lovely old Televue Renaissance (the 101 with brass OTA). I think the DM-4 would be man enough but would certainly appreciate your advice. The Renaissance weighs in at 6.4Kgs. Look forward to hearing from you.

Jim

Tweedledee

I've imported a few bits of astro stuff from the US. It is very easy.

Take the cost of the goods and add it to the shipping costs. The shipping costs are usually calculated by the US vendor in the online checkout or you may have to request them to advise you of it. Take this US dollar total and convert it to GBP at the current exchange rate using google. Add to this figure 20% for the VAT and 4% for customs duty, plus a nominal £10 to £15 for other UK handling costs. There is no customs duty on items under £100. You pay the vendor the US dollar total online. When the item gets into the UK, you will receive through your letter box a request to pay the VAT, customs duty and any handling fee. This can be payed immediately by phone or online. Usually stuff comes surprisingly quickly from the states. It gets into Heathrow about 3 or 4 days after you pay the vendor, then sits in UK customs for several days while they send you the written request for VAT etc. Once paid the goods are placed in transit to your door, The whole process usually takes a minimum of a week, maybe two. The total amount you have calculated as per the above will usually end up being a bit different as others may use a slightly different exchange rate, but that calculation almost always covers it. In reality, a lot of these yanks under-declare the value of the package to UK customs, so you end up paying less when it gets here. Shh - don't tell anybody. ;)

It you take the US price and times it by 1.24, that should more than cover it. :2thumbsup:

Would love to see a pic of your brass TV 101.

stash

The only caveat i would have (experience of buying PC's this way) is with the manufacturer's warranty of what is called "grey imports". Some will not honour  imported goods even though its their hardware and its not cheap to send them back to the US for repair. But well worth it when the £-$ exchange rate is high. Nice kit by the way.

Tweedledee

That is an important consideration Clive. :thumbsup:

There are usually some intelligent people here in the UK who can fix and repair most things often cheaper than you could send them back over the pond. Especially goto electronics etc.

I saved a lot of money importing some expensive Explore Scientific eyepieces when the exchange rate was much better. They have a lifetime warranty in the states, but not now they are here. Even though they are waterproof, I'm not thinking of swimming with them :lol:. Like most astro stuff they will be treated like precious jewels, which some eyepieces really are. :)

I have found American suppliers to be very accomodating, and I'm sure if something arrived damaged or not working properly, they would do their best to sort out the problem anyway.

Colorado Bob

Greetings from Colorado USA!

i’m in the process of putting together a set up almost exactly like yours. I will be using a DM6 with a C9.25 / APM 140 doublet.  I have an old Uni I was hoping to use. Has yours held up well to the load?  You’re probably a few billion light years into it by now!  Cheers,

Bob

Bino-viewer

Hi Bob,

Welcome to our EMS forum.

I still have the DM-6

The scope i use with it now is a 140mm triplet.

I still have the Uni 18. It is ok, but sometimes near its safe limit with a biggish scope.

With a 20lb load i would recommend the Berlebach Planet over the Uni.

Its a sturdier tripod, and is not that much more expensive.

But if you are sticking with the Uni it should be ok.

Just be careful if its windy and if you can use the floor spikes and set up on grass etc.

HTH Rob.