• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

advice please

thelord2004

hi all after working nights for a number of years I loved the night sky and would to learn a bit more about it. please could some one advise me on a starter scope many thanks simon.

Hi Simon,

Before you decide on a scope, it is better to learn your way around the sky with the naked eye and some 10x50 or similar binoculars initially. Stellarium planetarium software is great for finding where things are and when.

Get to a dark site meet and look through other peoples equipment and you'll get a feel for what suits you best for the types of observing you decide you are most interested in. That way you will eventually find the right equipment for you and not be disappointed.

Also, keep asking lots of questions on the forum.

Good luck.

Hi Simon, I agree with Pete above but there are other factors that you have to take into account, like budget, storage, do you want it to be portable, can you lift heavy weights ETC.

All these factors (and more) help determine what type of scope you get, do you want to find things by hand, do you want a computer to do it for you, but either way, you still have to tell the computer what it is looking at so you do need a basic knowledge of the sky first.

Binoculars are a great start, cheaper than a scope, portable, don't take up any room and you can get some decent views with a good size pair of binos (at the last meet 2-3 people turned up with just binos).

The dark nights are starting to draw in, so give it another 2-3 weeks and weather permitting (and the end if the cricket season) the meets should start to pick up on a near weekly basis, get yourself over to one, have a look, ask questions and we will get you sorted.

Hi Simon,

I agree with Pete, don't rush into this like I did and waste your money. There are a number of factors to consider, your budget is probably the most important, followed by what type of astronomy you want to pursue, visual only, or with astrophotography in the future. Also consider where you will store your scope and numerous accessories. 

Budget. This is the one factor which really determines what you might be doing. There are some great visual scopes out there that will get you going, even new prices are affordable now. Second hand will get you more scope for your money, all mine are second hand, and so long as you know what to look for most are very good value.

If you are new to the night sky, again as Pete mentioned, get a pair of Bino's, they will really start to open up the sky, there are some great objects about at the moment, but finding your way round is something that you have to get used to. It's funny how big the sky is when you are looking for something.

Imaging is something to ease into, due to the cost of equipment and the learning curve of getting all the cables and wires to do what you want. If imaging is something you have your heart set on you wouldn't go wrong getting Every Photon Counts, by Steve Richards. Have a read of that and see if that helps.

I would think about where you will store the gear when not in use, it needs to be secure and dry, with no condensation risk. some of this stuff can be quite big, and then there's the boxes with the bits in like eyepieces and so on. 

When we get round to getting out again, you are very welcome to come an join us and see what scopes there are, and what might suit you. Keep an eye open in the announcements section. Don't forget to save a bit of your money for upgrading things like eyepieces, the stock ones work, but you will soon be after something better.

If you see something you may consider buying, just stick a post up and ask if anyone has had experience of it. There are some scopes out there that are frankly more use as plant pots than optcal instruments, and we wouldn't want you to get put off. 

Stellarium is a cracking bit of free software, and that's handy for learning your way round when it's cloudy, or planning what you want to find.

http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

Guest Tweedledum

Echo advice above, especially come to a meet and see what other folk have. Do make a budget, there are plenty of used scopes about too. Along with Stellarium try copies of 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas' and 'turn left at orion'. These will help guide you round the sky.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MichaelDurban

Hello Pete,

I disagree with the above posts...

I too wanted to see planets and stars..Those colours and the stuff you see

in the magazines..

In my defense, I studied...researched...and joined forums (some of which banned me..)

My advice...

research...ask and ask more....and even then...ask more questions..

I didn't have binoculars...and I didn't want to buy them.

I wanted planets and stars...

But beware that this is a hobby of love and persistence...not a quick gander

at the skies above, expecting Hubble space telescopic views..

It will take perseverance and dedication.

It will take passion..

Finally I decided to take the big plunge and bought my scope, a 10" dob...

and I'm happy..

All I'm saying is that....binoculars will show you a glimpse of what is to come...

And inevitably..you will hunger for more...

That doesn't mean to say that you need to get a big scope, because you might be

put off by the views...

Everyone says: "Get binoculars first.."

It's only to guard you against disappointment..

If you have the funds...yes, go for it...don't be ridiculous of course..

start...at the beginning..

I did..