• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astronomik CLS CCD DeepSky & LightPollution Clip-Filter CanonEOS

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

Advice Please Everyone...

Astronomik CLS CCD DeepSky & LightPollution Clip-Filter CanonEOS ...... are they worth the money ??

Do they actually make a difference ???

I use a Astronomik CLS CCD filter for imaging with my Atik camera, certainly makes a difference and has allowed me to make 10 minute exposures.

It depends on your type of Light Pollution.

Mine is almost all old orange street lights, and a £25 Sky Watcher 2" LP filter takes that out.

If I'm doing wide field I fit it on the end of the lens using a Kood 55mm to 2" filter adaptor ring.

If I have the camera on the scope then I fit the filter on the end of the T ring to 2" nose piece adaptor.

Never saw the point of getting a clip in myself. Even if you don't like the Sky Watcher filter you can fit any manufacturer 2" LP filter instead.

Guest StevenWhatley

Ok I may try that option first I have a 2" Tring nose piece adapter but i think I need a spacer for the ED80 to bring it into focus as I remember trying it when I first got the scope, I ended up having to use the supplied adapter to get the camera to focus..

cheers 

They are well worth the money. Aside from removing LP they also boost contrast and enhance the nebulosity. Much better than the Skywatcher LP filter which does just that, filters out some of the LP.

I use one all the time and have only low LP, I may take it out to use at Kelling though as there's no LP at all!  :)

I have been using one and whilst I am no expert, I have been happy with the results. A worthwhile investment if your light pollution is bad.

I have the skywatcher 2 inch Lp filter also and find the Astronomik CLS-CCD to be a better allrounder.

We have a mixture of street lights round here.

Guest Philmarriott

Good question and one I wondered but I came to the conclusion that the 2 inch one would be better as your not limited to a dslr if you change in the future ;)

you can get 2 inch astronomik versions of the clip filter still expensive, then there`s the IDAS pollution filters, expensive again but people say there great for cutting the pollution and blackening the background.

i have a cheaper 2" baader filter which i use on the Atik 314 which works fairly well, if you look through them at the street lights you can get a good idea of the glow they cut out.