• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Gas Boiler advice - lack of safety cert

stash

My son is trying to sell his house but has hit a brick wall regarding a replacement new boiler he had installed 3 yrs ago.

The problem is that he never got a Cert even though the guy was , at the time, registered with Gas Safe AND Gas Safe say the guy never registered the installation.

Gas Safe aren't being very helpful as the guy is no longer registered (wasn't thrown out might have retired) and they cannot make contact with the Engineer that did the install.

It didn't help at the time that my son was being posted to Afghanistan and wanted to make sure his wife was ok while he was away - no excuse really but guess he had other things on his mind !

What is the best way to proceed - Any help much appreciated.

I am no expert on this but I do know all gas / electrical installs done in the last few years require a certificate, can you not get a gas engineer out to check it over and certify it, granted it will cost but I do not see any other way to sell the house?

only choice is to get registered engineer to come and re certify it as safe.  Most rented property folks have to do

this every year.  Dont think its too expensive

Sheila

Thanks for the replies - your thoughts were mine initially - however it seems that if the initial installation of the boiler did't have a Cert then its not just a case of getting a new Cert - This type of thing can only be done by a "Gas Inspector" not Gas Engineer - or so the Gas safe told my son - this didn't make any sense to me - as per MOT it not worth anything as soon as you leave the forecourt (still be done for illegal items). A straight new Cert by a Gas Safe should have been  enough.

Thanks for your advice folks. :chin_scratch2:  :thumbsup:

well none of my boilers had a previous certificate or an initial one, and there was no problem in doing a gas safet test

on them :wacko:

Sheila

Just had my whole gas system certified a few months ago to have a new meter fitted.

Cost me £35.00 + VAT.

No mention of old or existing certs as the new cert replaced any existing or outdated certs.

well none of my boilers had a previous certificate or an initial one, and there was no problem in doing a gas safet test

on them :wacko:

Sheila

That's what I thought too Shelia - but Gas safe say different. Think I am going to phone Gas Safe myself and argue the point could be duff info from non tech help desk - i.e. a guess.

Thanks again

Update - Most Gas Engineers said they wouldn't "touch it with a b/pole" - says a lot for the industry - so my son has found a way round it and taken out indemnity insurance for £44 which has been accepted by the Solicitors.

Moral of the story (easy in hindsight  ) don't pay until Cert recvd  ;)

Thanks all for your remarks.

Hi Clive,

Sorry, I have only just read your post. Gas safe are correct in what they are saying, any new boiler fitted after 2008 requires the gas engineer / installer to register the boiler installation with gas safe. This is a self certification to say the boiler has been installed to the Part L building regulations. They will then issue a Gas Safe certificate of compliance to the customer , this is the certificate that the solicitor is looking for. The only way to get this certificate is to contact the installer and ask him to register it, this does not take long to do even if it's been a couple of years since the installation.

Hope this helps

Nick

Nick, just out of interest then, can another gas safe registered engineer not check the installation and certify that its ok with gas safe?

Hi Daz,

As Clive said above nobody will do that because their name or company name will be logged with Gas Safe as the installer. If there were any future problems they would be liable. I've been asked to do this by a customer and I said no but have agreed to go and put the work right as it is a poor installation.

Nick

Thanks Mike - problem orig guy (ex british gas I believe) has now retired(been retired !) and is no longer contactable to issue the Cert. While I can have sympathy with Engineers not wanting to take on a Non Cert / Non Reg work (who would if they become liable) I think Gas Safe have some responsibility,IMHO, here as the person was registered at the time of the work was carried out and one presumes that engineers have to prove they are ok BEFORE they are given Gas Safe registration ID.

Otherwise Gas Safe are just a money making machine that does the occasional check - I believe a customer can ask Gas Safe for an inspection after work is complete but they may not ever turn up ??

Digging deeper the story goes - "Engineer" comes out to quote for work,customer says ok to start on basis of quote being fixed price, Engineer does work but asks for more money ,customer reminds Engineer it was fixed price and only pays for orig price as quoted.

I think the engineer decided he would not reg/cert the work to get his own back.

Mistake by customer don't pay until at least proof is made that the work has been registered with Gas Safe but best exchange payment on Cert issued.

Note My Gas Engineer is brilliant,reasonable cost wise and always does a good job its finding the good guys (always is)

P.S. The charges to Engineers made by Gas Safe for registration is a rip off hence some stop doing some types of work as it just doesn't pay.  Same for Sparkies.  :angryface:  Got that off my chest  :lol: