• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I have the slowest broadband, ever !

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

My download speed is 1/5 mb/s.  Yes, that's one fifth. :facepalm2:

I cannot watch any Utube videos.......that might be a good thing, these days. :lol:

So living in the sticks at the very end of the overhead line from the nearest exchange is the price we have to pay.

But it is nice and quiet here so the DSO's can land here in peace. :)  

Edited by peepshow

Wow that is slow, that's like dial up years ago.

Just tested mine and it reads 

52.64 Mbs download, 12.19 Mbs upload, and a 7 Ms Ping

Ours is 0.5 if we are lucky and the winds in the right direction. Youtube? Streaming? Whats that? 90% of promotions for videos and web based stuff is beyond us.

My favourite is when isps contact us and tell us we can have up to 12 megs on their latest offer, I just say go on then prove it. They then do a postcode check and say well we can give you 1 meg, I then love to ask them if they are going to change the 12 mile long piece of wet string that is our phone line or move the exchange closer.

Doing the Potm sometimes took hours because of this poor performance, I would be waiting for ages for large images to load.

Having said that I managed to get my business web site up and running the other month but it was frustrating and time consuming.

These slow speeds are particularly frustrating when we have to put up with constant roadworks stopping us getting into the village due to bt putting fibre optic cables in for the business park 3 mikes away. The parish council have asked when we will get better broadband and all we get as an answer is not in the forseable future

Guest MichaelDurban

I'm sure you were expecting this but...

nope...you are in no way the slowest..

when I get 40 kb/s I'm happy..

and I mean happy.

Havent tried it but considered it a few years ago when we were cutoff for 5 months. It was a bit pricey to set up back then not sure what its like now. From that link, price fir hardware has come right down, interesting

Edited by philjay

Got one and the reception is terrible. As bad as mobile phone reception, we are in a black hole here as far as communications are concerned. Again companies promise blazing speeds etc, then they do a postcode check and reduce their claims.

I got a 3 dongke during the bt fiasco a few years ago and performance is really bad here.

Chances are if you have good mobile reception where you are a dongle will be ok, if not, save your money

Satellite is faster than your speed by quite a bit - but subject to bad weather - bit like Astro viewing. The only big problem is latency - "Latency is defined as the amount of delay, measured in milliseconds, that occurs in a round-trip data transmission. " but with your present slooow speed link the download/upload speed would make up for it.

A number of caravan owners I have come across use it.

I looked at it until Lincs were "given" some money to upgrade to FTTC and the costs would have been nearly even as I was going to get rid of my land line altogether (£16 rental). Still might go that way if the FTTC turns out to be rubbish where I am.

Also the usage limits tend to be lower unless you pay very high pricing.

Plus you need the kit (rent or buy) and good line of sight - Sat dish etc

Not strictly related to the speed, but we only use a mobile network wifi thingy, we're in a good signal area and have done away with our land line altogether. On our price plan* we can't stream much per month, but then we only pay £20 for six months browsing - and we can take it on holiday with us, so avoid wifi charging there!

*The device is capable of streaming.

Edited by Cazz

Guest peepshow

Thanks for all that.

Although my broadband is slow my mobile signal is good so dongle might be a simple

answer here.  A pay as you go just to try it out maybe.

At our office in Swadlincote, we get a paltry 0.3-0.5 MB via ASDL, as we are on the only cabinet in the area that doesn't have FTTC. Out of desperation, we went down the 4G route and can get a stable 6-7MB that way (but have kept a single ASDL as backup). Before committing to that, get someone with a 4G phone to come over and test the signal - don't rely on the online maps as they aren't accurate enough. We signed up a two year contract with EE which costs £45/month.

Alan

Guest peepshow

Alan, your new speed is over 25 times faster than mine.

I've taken the bull by the horns, or the broadband by the ********  !

Ordered a EE 4G dongle.  We only have 3G here at present but I understand that a 4G picks up 3G if

4G is absent.

I'm looking forward to  improving on my existing 1/5 meg down load speed. :)

How can one call 1/5 meg a ''speed' ?   It's a download crawl. :D

We tried a length of damp string, that was better than ASDL at the office...

Surprised you can't get FTTC in Ashby, though. Getting about 27mb via that in Swannington.

Alan.

Guest peepshow

Ashby is my nearest small town. 

I live in a nearby village, just over 2 miles from the exchange. 

Our house is on the far side of the village from BT's junction box and we are at the end of the overhead lines.   Hence the poor speeds.  

But I can see the mobile tower across the fields from my window so reception should be good on 3G and 4G if it ever  comes.

That is slow Richard......Crikey.

Just tested ours :  11.8 Mb/s download,  1.41 Mb/s upload which for our aged ADSL is pretty decent.

I take all the figures from the various speed testers with a pinch of salt really. At times our broadband seems hopelessly slow. 

Evenings are worst for obvious reasons. At 09:00 in the morning its at its speediest.

Been waiting 2 years to be upgraded to BTs new fibre broadband. They just keep putting it back every 3 months.

Now expected Oct-Dec 14. Not holding my breath though.....

Good idea from Alan to try someones 4G phone in your area.

If you can get it problem solved. I've only just got a 4G phone and speed wise it blows our wifi out of the water.....

Glad you are going to improve your speed so you can download everything faster especially images Richard :thumbsup:

3775059995.png

I'm quite pleased with my connection, although it is a bit slower than usual tonight :) .

Guest peepshow

Mine's pretty good tonight.........it's 1/4 Mb/s not 1/5.       

That's about 320 times    s  l  o  w    e           r    that yours, Pete. :D

Do we live on the same planet?

BT Adverts say I should receive about 4 for my postcode.    Huh. :facepalm2:

Mine's pretty good tonight.........it's 1/4 Mb/s not 1/5.       

That's about 320 times    s  l  o  w    e           r    that yours, Pete. :D

Do we live on the same planet?

BT Adverts say I should receive about 4 for my postcode.    Huh. :facepalm2:

That explains it Richard. SWMBO says I'm usually on a different planet :screwloose:

We moved offices about 2 1/2 years ago (within Swad) and checked our predicted speed when selecting a new location. Our old office was about 6-7mb on ASDL, the new location (about a mile away) was 2-3mb. Which we could just live with. It started off at just under 2mb and is now around 0.4. We added a second line and switched over to a lower contention-ratio product - again, it improved for a while but then got worse again. Fibre then became the next best option but trying to get a straight answer out of anyone regarding FTTC availability was turning out to be hard until I found a direct e-mail address for the MD of Openreach. Surprisingly, he not only answered me but also told the truth - our cabinet wasn't deemed viable for upgrade to FTTC as most of the connections were commercial rather than residential. In other words, not enough paying customers... There is hope on the horizon, though. Any which fall outside of Openreachs scope in this way are supposed to be handed over to a scheme called BDUK. Basically Openreach will still do the work, but it's funded by the local county council instead. It's primarily aimed at providing faster connections to rural areas. I've been told that our cabinet is due to be done "sometime in 2015". I'm not holding my breath, though, and 4G gets us out of a hole for the meanwhile.

Alan

Our parish council have been negotiating with one of these wifi providers which a few rural villages have gone with. They are hoping to get a tower built on a farmers plot and users have a receiver aerial on their roofs. Provided you are line of sight you can get up to 10 ish. I remain to be convinced as the tower is going to be the other side of the village from us.

Guest peepshow

Just got my EE 4G dongle working..
My old BT 1/5meg download speed is now 19.02 meg ......... Whooooopeeee. :lol:

Goodbye BT.   Hello Mobile broadband. :)