• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from north of the 'border'

Guest Underwood

Guest Underwood

Hi,

Returning to using my telescope after a number of years as a past member of the Ayrshire Astronomical Society.

Searched on the web for information on my old Charles Frank 4" reflector (bought by me secondhand in Glasgow close to the site of the original premises of Charles Frank), and came upon your posts connected with the same. Have no experience of any other scopes and would like to add a motor drive if possible. Having recently delved into the world of 'Raspberry Pi' and 'Arduino', the other possibility would be to mount the Raspi camera board into the scope in place of the secondary mirror, following the example set by the new PiKon telescope.

My scope is very basic but solid, and is mounted on an ex military gun tripod with matching gunsight scope, and has produced some acceptable lunar photos in the past, taken with a 35mm film SLR lined up at the viewing lens. The mirrors were refurbished locally and the secondary could do with a clean up.

Any advice on using or refurbishing would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Willie

Hi Willie, a warm welcome to EMS.

I don't know anything about refurbishing a scope like that, but a few on here will be along to help out.

I would send my Mirrors to Orion Optics, but then I could drive it over, I have heard they are very helpful so may well be worth contacting and having a chat.

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/

There's a good few shed based electronics bods on here, so they might be able to assist as well.

In the meantime enjoy the forum. :)

Hello and welcome to EMS.

I second what Martyn has put, while I have not used Orion Optics myself, I am considering using them some point in the future for the ultra reflective hilux coatings on my mirror.

Wait until Phil sees this thread, he is a Charles Frank reflector lover (and fracs in general) so I am sure he will be able to assist.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum.

Regards,

Daz.

Hi Willie, welcome to EMS.

I had a Charles Frank 4" reflector as a child in the late 60's, only sold it about 14 years ago. I probably spent more time looking through that 4" than any other scope. It certainly is a classic, and a very solidly mounted scope. I changed the old 1x gunsight for a more useable finder.