• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Halley’s Comet may be seen in Britain’s skies this month – 47 years early (sort of)

stovesy

Not early either as they occur every October - the Orionids that is.. Still maybe the Orionids will go ballistic with a great display - don't hold your breathe or if they do you can bet on it will be cloudy  :D

Some ones got there knickers in a twist. The Independent has a really misleading head line.

Halley's Comet return: Keep your eyes peeled for a cosmic fireworks display later this month.

That is quite possibly the worst astro journalism I have ever read, and I have read some corkers in my time.

I almost feel like writing in to complain.

Another damp squib I am afraid. In one line we are grabbing our scopes in droves, and then contradicts itself by saying you won't need a scope.  :facepalm:

If this is what they need to sell newspapers, just carry on with supposed Celebs, and leave the science to us.

Found out why. Paul fellows has been misquoted by the Cambridge evening News and everyone else has jumped on the band wagon.

Quote from a Facebook page by Paul Fellows..

"Don't you just love the media....

I was spectacularly misquoted by the Cambridge a evening news today. And have to face the public observing audience tonight too, and explain why they wont see a tail of fire spanning the sky after all."

Link to news article.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cosmic-dust-tail-Halley-s-Comet-expected-visible/story-23062247-detail/story.html

Edited by tuckstar

I'm expecting a blazing sky.... Didn't realise :(

I'm gonna sue the papers if I don't get 'cosmic fireworks'

Edited by stovesy

A good spot though Pete.

There has been a lot of banging on about the Met office doing Space weather. No mention of all the people who have been doing it for years like ....Oh yeah, Space Weather.

A good spot though Pete.

There has been a lot of banging on about the Met office doing Space weather. No mention of all the people who have been doing it for years like ....Oh yeah, Space Weather.

Maybe the Met Office should stick to getting there 24hr earth(UK) forecast more accurate and not keep updating there site every 30 mins then say they were so good predicting the weather.  Or bring out an APP for Astronomers that only works on Apple Iphones.

Edited by stash