• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Eskimo Nebula.

oldfruit

Spotted the Eskimo Nebula for the firt time this evening, makes me wonder how i missed it on my previous attempt :) . Anyways, to my eyes it looked almost like a bloated central star with a fainter outer halo that showed some hints of structure. I was just interested what others had observed when seeing this object and should point out that i was observing from my back garden with no filter and even with a little light pollution i still found this object quite impressive. I think i need to see this one again from a darker site.

Hi Mark,

Nice little object that few people seem to bother with.

I often enjoyed looking at this with an 10" LX200 SCT. It benefitted from a higher power showing a bit more detail in the 10".

So a higher power on a good dark clear night might show you a bit more.

Have a go at the little planetary nebula in the M46 star cluster, that also makes an interesting sight.

Cheers, Pete.

These are my two observations with my 16" dob taken from my notes:

Next over to Gemini and the little planetary Nebula NGC2392 also known as the Eskimo, or Clown Face Nebula. Quite easy to find despite it's size of only 0.8'x0.7' in the 32mm TAL at x 57 and looked like a little star but the thing I really noticed was how it pulsated. Up the mag to x87 and you could clearly see a blue tinted non stellar shape that pulsated with good seeing. Also noted a lot of stars in the same FOV that made this view very pleasing indeed.

The round the evening off I went in search for one of my favourite nebulas the Eskimo or Clownface Nebula Ngc2392, this one is so easy to spot and even in a 28 Uwan is unmistakeably a planetary nebula, it is quite large at 0.8' in diameter and is clearly blue in colour. Best eyepiece used was the 7 uwan with O111 filter, this showed detail in the outer structute, a very nice sight indeed and one I will always remember.

Never saw any colour in it. With the extra light gathering power of a 16" I suppose it is going to bring out some colour unseen in smaller scopes. A bit of colour is a nice bonus when looking at these things.

Thanks for the replies. As you have both said, dark skies and a bigger scope would no doubt give a much better view. For now i will have to be satisfied with the views that i have but do plan to visit a dark site in the very near future, so i hope i will be able to pull a little more detail from this one.