• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cheap Ebay Canon batteries

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

I know that, "If it looks too good to be true it is," but wonder about the very cheap replacement Canon batteries one sees on Ebay.

In many cases hundreds have been sold from various dealers for about £3 each  !

Are there that number of mugs about or are they really good batteries ?........

...........anyone tried them?

Edited by peepshow

i bought one of those mains batteries supplies for my 1100d and it works a treat, about £6 from China including delivery, seen exactly the same on Amazon for £15 

Edited by red dwalf

This is a regular question which pops up regularly on astro and photo forums.

Ive bought spare batteries for all my cameras over the years off ebay, Canon, Panasonic and now Olympus, all from far east suppliers and I have never had problems either with getting them or operationally. Amazon is another source but these are usualy a bit dearer than ebay sellers.

I personally object to paying 30 to 50 squid more for a branded battery when there are far cheaper and perfectly useable alternatives available.

You take your chances with lithium cells. It's quite possible they are they are made in the same factory as the branded ones, in which case you'll be fine. A dodgy one can catch fire with nasty results.

Amazon are possbily a better bet as they have a returns policy if you do get one that doesn't work.

Have used both. Sometimes find the cheap ones don't last as long

As canon ones. But sometimes they do. Bit of a lottery I guess

I suppose at £3-6 a battery it does not matter, not like you have lost much cash if you get a duff one. Although I suppose the thing to watch out for will be what Leigh mentioned above, you might wonder why your subs look rubbish and you then notice your camera is on fire :P

Guest Tweedledum

Have used ebay sourced batteries in my Olympus E410 DSLR for nearly 10 years, all higher capacity than original Olympus - no issues yet!

Hi Richard. I'v got spare cheapie ebay batteries for my Nikon and Canon. I've not had any problems but in spite of the labels saying they are a higher capacity they they run down more quickly. However, you can buy 10 for the price of one!