• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

One way ticket to Mars ?

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

To get a man to Mars and back will be far, far more difficult that just to get him there on a one way ticket.

I wonder how many would be willing to be given the chance to have such a ticket,

together with a suicide pill, of course?

You would have your name go down in history as an extra bonus. :)

Maybe older ones would be nearer to the front of any such queue for  a ticket? :D

I read an article a year or so ago where NASA posted a request for such a thing in some science magazine or online some where, they got a hugh amount of "applicants " so they took it a step further and contacted some of them saying they had been selected, surprise surprise a lot at this point droped out when they relised NASA was being "serious" but some people did not and were fully prepered to go.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Maybe if my wife dies before I do and my daughter would be prepared to let me go, I'd do it. I would hope to be able to live there for a while, especially if I was able to take some astro kit. I guess my Coronado PST wouldn't work too well there, though.

The Dutch Mars One programme http://www.mars-one.com/ had over 200,000 applicants who have been narrowed down to just over 1000. That's based on it being a one-way trip. Mind you, they have now linked up with Endemol for the TV rights... :screwloose:

Alan

Guest fondofchips

Bad news if the company goes bust after you've left Earth, I can't see that they will ever raise enough finance for it.  A bit like saving up for astro gear.

Cheers,

Harry.