• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help - Motor control board gone

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

Guys it looks like my motor control board has died on the Neq6 :(

Who can help repair ASAP??

L2 on the board is burnt out?? I will upload a pic shortly

It looks to me like a SMD inductor has blown. 

I could do it, the problem is knowing the value to use. If you can find that out these things cost pennies.

Guest StevenWhatley

I could do it, the problem is knowing the value to use. If you can find that out these things cost pennies.

Oh that's way beyond my knowledge :( but the L2 component has just fallen off so defo that has died what ever L2 is...

Sod's law the weekend before EMS

15563564255_053933c1ac_c.jpg

Untitled by stevenwhatley231284, on Flickr

Guest StevenWhatley

I have read this on another forum..

Re: NEQ6 circuit board info needed

« Reply #4 on: 23:00:02, 20 March, 2012 »

I now have all the relevant information that I require, thanks to a guy on the Yahoo EQ6 Group.

For reference, both L1 and L2 on the NEQ6 control board, are in fact ferrite based EMI filters.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Steve,

To me I would also check all the capacitors nearby (c4 ,c5,c6) . There also seems to be some damage around the positve lead on the pcb (which also looks not well attached). Fairly simple task to replace these BUTfor it to fail like that it would point to some other component to have failed as well.

I am not familiar with the NEQ6 at all...but I have to agree with above, the inductors (EMI filters) are just bits of wire in essence and in this case have acted as fuses. The problem may be further upstream.

The connector underneath L2 goes to the hand controller I presume?

What are the two wires soldered to the main board (part of the power socket mod?). Both the negative (black) and positive (red) wire looks a bit dodgy. The negative may be shorting out against L40 if put under strain, especially looking at the 2nd pic. The positive may be shorting against the trace next to to it (though not very likely).

Did you have the mount plugged into your PC at the time? Was the battery charger charging the supply? Try to check everything upstream to ensure you don't plug a new board in and the same happens...

Good luck Steve, if I lived closer I'd have been able to have a look for you.

Guest StevenWhatley
I am not familiar with the NEQ6 at all...but I have to agree with above, the inductors (EMI filters) are just bits of wire in essence and in this case have acted as fuses. The problem may be further upstream.

The connector underneath L2 goes to the hand controller I presume?

What are the two wires soldered to the main board (part of the power socket mod?). Both the negative (black) and positive (red) wire looks a bit dodgy. The negative may be shorting out against L40 if put under strain, especially looking at the 2nd pic. The positive may be shorting against the trace next to to it (though not very likely).

Did you have the mount plugged into your PC at the time? Was the battery charger charging the supply? Try to check everything upstream to ensure you don't plug a new board in and the same happens...

Good luck Steve, if I lived closer I'd have been able to have a look for you.

Cheers guys

The wires are to an auxiliary power socket that has a screw on connector so the cable cannot be tugged out fitted by the previous owner, it is pretty solid so don't think they are shorting, the solder probably could do with a top up but has been sound until now.. I had nothing connected at the time I literally plugged the power cable in and the hand controller and turned on and pop!!!

The fuse also blew in cigar plug which was a 3amp fuse..

I all other components look ok to me I've had a look with a mag glass and just seems to be L2 which went in a spectacular way

I'm not the greatest at soldering so I'm reluctant to try to fix this myself but I may have to if I want to go to EMS as planned :(

I'd check the handset cable just to make sure it is fine. I think L2 goes to the hand controller (though may be mistaken).

Only a direct short would burn a board like that as well as take out a 3 amp fuse.

Guest StevenWhatley

Cheers,

John at Astrodevelopments.com has contacted me back and offered a speedy repair at a price I am happy with so hopefully this is sorted ready for the clouds at EMS :)

Thanks for all the comments guys.