• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M45...Pleiades

StuartJPP

I was going to image from Baumber last weekend but we went to Northumberland and Scotland instead. Kielder was a wash out and I only managed just over an hour's worth in the Scottish Borders. It was nice to see the MW but not the cloud that was frequent. It was also nice to see Orion above the trees at a time that was manageable however by that time the cloud had set in and the wind started to pick up which ended play.

Glad to get some outer fluffy stuff in. I have been using variations of the DSLR-LLRGB processing method where you split the image into RGB and Luminance and helps to keep the noise down.

Thanks for looking...

24th October 2014
Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 500mm f/4 L IS @ f/4
AstroTrac TT320X (unguided)
ISO 800
22x180 second lights (of varying quality)

15467562940_408529da41_b.jpg

M45 - Pleiades or "Seven Sisters" by StuartJPP, on Flickr

• Like 2

Very nice indeed Stuart. Would like to know more about this processing method!

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Thanks everyone!

Cracking image Stuart, POTM stuff??

Ron I wasn't sure I could submit it, wasn't taken anywhere near EMS...

Very nice indeed Stuart. Would like to know more about this processing method!

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Yes me too Stuart.. Cracking image and would live to know how you processed it!! Amaze balls!!

Thanks Steve and Steven...I basically use a modified method described in Scott Rosen's DSLR-LLRGB page. The reason it is "modified" is that I don't have the same toolset so basically do similar functions with what I have got, though I add steps or leave out steps as I go along. I don't try to process images to the same extent, to me the faint stuff is exactly that...faint stuff and shouldn't be as bright as the normal nebulosity. Each to their own.

Splitting the original image into Luminance and RGB allows the Luminance channel to be worked on to get the detail and reduce noise and then the RGB layer for adding the colour. This is common practice for mono CCD images using Hydrogen Alpha as a luminance layer and where RGB can be binned and as such it doesn't have much detail just colour.

http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php

Have fun...there is a lot in there and it will require many retakes for certain bits...luckily we have lots of time to play around here in the UK...

Your mileage may vary of course.