• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Half Way Obs Build.

Perkil8r

i`ve been thinking hard about my cabling, and i`ve come up with the idea of using water waste pipe, my flooring stands on barers of 31/2" x 31/2" and i`ll be making an small square area around the pier so it can be lifted, waste pipe can then be run to warm room.

one tip is to put a length of string into the pipe first, then any cables can be tied to it and pulled through easily, leave a good length either side of the pipe so cables can be pulled either way.

I was going to use waste pipe too. Seems like the ideal size as I should be able to get a couple of USB plugs through it no wories. I'll probably leave a piece of string in there too, or length of single wire, so I can use it to pull through more cables at a later date should the need arise. The main thing I am thinking about at the minute though is what cable/s to run for controling the mount.

well if your imaging then a couple of usb cables and depending on where your power will be then maybe a mount power cable, having said all this there is an easier although more expensive way, buy one of these,

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-mount-hub-pro-v3.html

around £225 with the usb hub on, then all you have is a power cable for the hub and one usb cable that comes from the hub to your computer, cables are fairly long on them too.

then everything else will plug into the hub, i.e. cameras, dew control, usb devices, mount power and so on.

i`m putting one on my christmas list although santa never brings me what i want.

i was very impressed when i had seen yours Steve,

that doesn`t sound right does it L.O.L.

• 1 year later...

Holy thread resurrection bat man!

I've made some progress :o :o

Base is down now for the shed warm room :D

521968_10151760077563917_1138045440_n.jp

Time to spend some money on a shed now Mike! ;)

That's her Tax refund money going into action ;) I am still reserving a corner for my warm room, which I keep wanting to call a dark room for some weird reason.

Extended the path today, my first ever concrete mix and lay :o

It's amazing what you can learn off of the You Tube. :lol:

969288_10151764904828917_1534221044_n.jp

Ordering the shed tonight :D

Edited by Perkil8r

• 2 weeks later...

Warm room or shed as I have to call it for the sake of conserving status quo in our house, has arrived. The floor is poor, as too is the roof really but the roof is easy sorted with the addition of a few extra batons. I have priced up floorboards to add to the floor before I build it up and I think it should be fine if I do that. £1.37 per metre including VAT so not bad at all. I need 28 lengths at 1.8m so not too bad at all.

Hopefully I will pick that up tomorrow and start building it up.

Edit:

I've since thought about it, I'm going to use Plywood instead. Less nooks and cranies, plus it will mean buying 2 sheets of 8x4 which will leave me some strips left over to build a bench and a couple of shelves or something. Price wise it should work out about £10 cheaper too, but means I get the bench top effectively for free which is a further saving of £15 for the piece I was going to buy.

Edited by Perkil8r

I got the wood and decided to have a go at chucking it all together:

1235023_10151786821473917_1480984179_n.j

Rain and a lack of charge for the screwdriver stopped play, but it's almost there now. I also have the wood to build the bench etc inside, hopefully I may get the bench done next week before I have to go back to work.

Now finished building the shed/ warm room. Just a few little bits to finish and then I can build the bench etc.

1001957_10151788976238917_42290946_n.jpg

Edited by Perkil8r