• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greenhouse observatory !

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

Has anyone adapted a green house into an observatory?

Many have double skinned polycarbonate glazing.  The opening roof windows could be adapted to open the

whole length for the telescope to see out by any decent DIYer. 

This one is nearly 6ft  square and would house a small scope......

................grow your own tomatoes too at the same time. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290842925897?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by peepshow

It's an idea? Although I think I would paint the acrylic sheeting to hide the scope from prying eyes an reduce LP??

Cheers

Ron

I reckon you could get a shed as cheap and adapt the roof on that. Much more secure and adaptable.

As Steve said, heat could be a problem. Even a shed/obsy gets hot inside in summer.

Guest peepshow

I forgot about the heat. :(

The problem with greenhouses or sheds is always how to remove all/part of the roof. RORO solves it for many.

If you got the window cleaner in regularly to clean the green house roof windows one could image through them ! ;)

Yeh, and yer can't grow tomatoes in a shed.............  Sell 'em and help pay for AP. :)

If it's anything like my Dad's old greenhouse, you will get loads of condensation as well. Good for plants but your gear might suffer.

Guest peepshow

Very pricey Clive  to recover it with that.  Maybe a pot of black emulsion instead on the inside.

The actual framework would not be in the way too much and has possibilities maybe?............ 

Have quick removable polycarbonate panels, where telescope may point, NSEW. although I don't know if the

panels can be quickly removed......DIY mod?

If scope FOV were say, 1 degree then within 4 minutes any obstructing 'frame bar' would be out of view.

The next bar to obstruct (say bars are 2ft spaced)) would  be approx  half an hour away.

BTW, I am not too serious about all this, just musing over possibilities.  If I had an old  6ft x 6ft /plus greenhouse with

non glass glazing, I might well experiment with it.

added........no glazing in the roof, just a sliding tarpaulin pulled by ropes????  The tarp rests on all the roof glazing bars

when covered.

Edited by peepshow