• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Hello All,

A new member here. Many of my web searches had me accessing the topics on this site so there must be something here so here I am !!

I am from Sandy Creek in South Australia. My astornomy consists of visual observing through my 10" Skywatcher Dob or taking pictures to look deeper.

Well, we are in mid spring the temperature is rising and the viewing is getting very comfortable.

James.

Hi James

Welcome to EMS,  your targets there must be quite different to our :)  Some nice ones i think

Sheila

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Hi All,

Had to get in the thing about Bond. just saw an excellent show about Ian Fleming ... The Man who would be Bond.

Thank you iindeed for the welcome.

Yes Tweedledee I am not far from Adelaide ... About 50 km to the NE of Adl. Light pollution? One has to go about 250km away to get "really dark skies" I do not get a decent view to the SW. Having said that I just had a look outside and see Orion rising (6 degrees altitude) and both the LMC and SMC are clearly visible to the south. To the north the square of Pegasus is just past transit and the Andromeda is hidden by the trees. To the NE M45 is sparkling away!

Thank you Sheila for the welcome.

I'm off to Kangaroo Island for a few days to see if I can catch a few fish and will check out the effect of light pollution from Adl. 90km to the north.

Regards to all,

Jeremy.

G'day and welcome to EMS.

I think you could quite possibly be our furthest member, we have the odd 1 or 2 in the states, 1 in Bulgaria I believe and now yourself - :P

I`m quite chuffed that your online search results mainly brought up our little forum, happy days.

Anyway, welcome again to EMS, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Hi Darren,

Furtherest member? Modern communications and the WWW seems to shrink the world and Sheila our targets are different in some aspects but we see much of the same stuff. For example your view of the Andromeda galaxy is "neigh on perfect" and everybody can get an excellent photograph of it. For me it only gets about 7 degrees above the northern horizon at transit. To get a half decent picture of the Andromeda galaxy I have to drive 1800km to the north ( just north of Alice Springs).

Jeremy.

Hi Jeremy, a warm welcome to EMS.

I'll bet a 10" Dob would provide some amazing sights from down your way, I am only slightly jealous. We have had a rough time of it lately, with low pressure areas rolling in one after the other. I hope the weather is a bit clearer for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Hello All and thankyou indeed for the warm welcome.

Yes Martyn one does get excellent views but we do have light pollution problems like every one else.

My Dob is a standard Skywatcher Dob (1.2m focal length) and I use only a single eyepiece of 25 mm with a uhc-s filter. This gives a 1.2 degree fov which suites me fine for nebulae and star clusters. I have a small (130 mm) refractor to view the planets and star clusters.

The weather here is up and down like a yo yo. Remember winter has only just ended and in some places the temperature was 40C ! We are expecting a long, hot and dry summer ( as usual) there was a bush fire a couple of weeks ago - one person killed.

Regards,

Jeremy.

Hi Jeremy,

I was initially envious of your location and climate, but I think I can deal with the cold better than 40 degree temperatures. Anything above 30 degrees I find uncomfortable.

Good luck for the long hot dry summer and hopefully not too many fires! :)

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Once again many thanks for the welcome.

Todays and tomorrows temperature will be aroung 36 to 38 C and I must stress that this is the middle of spring summer is still a month away.

In a months time we have a long drive ( 2500km) to visit our children and we will be returning home via the inland ( for some interest). i will take a some pictures and post them here.

Jeremy.

Welcome to the forum Jeremy, also jealous of your weather and sky! I visited Darwin many years ago to play cricket with the Army, I was posted to Hong Kong at the time! 

Cheers

Ron

Once again many thanks for the welcome.

Todays and tomorrows temperature will be aroung 36 to 38 C and I must stress that this is the middle of spring summer is still a month away.

In a months time we have a long drive ( 2500km) to visit our children and we will be returning home via the inland ( for some interest). i will take a some pictures and post them here.

Jeremy.

Have you personally noticed any increase in temperatures over the years?

Would be very interested to see some pictures of your travels Jeremy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bonds_the_Name

Hello Pete,

About noticing rises in summer temperature. It does appear to be getting dryer and slightly warmer. What is most noticible is an apparent change in the rain pattern. Compared to else where we get very little rain and most of it falls between April and September. Lately,at the end of September, it is as if someone has turned off the tap. The rain just stops and we either get no rain for the next 4 to 5 months or we may get a strong winter storm with lightening and all that.

The temperatures appear to be warming as the famous Adelaide heat waves appear to be getting longer. Last year we had 7 to 10 days straight where the temperature was above 40C.

And yes I will post some pictures here. Just planned a slow trip to have a look at the sights. We have done this trip many times ( from Adelaide to Brisbane take about 1.7 days ... Leave early in the morning on day #1 and arrive in Brisbane in the late afternoon of #2 )

Funny thing is that We have never taken photos on the drive from Alice Springs to Adelaide ( we use to live in the Alice) even though we did this trip 31 times! likewise driving Adelaide to Darwin etc. yes we will take some pics and post them here.

Jeremy.

Looks like there is both a warming trend and a change in the climate then.

1.7 days drive! - wow! :o

Looking forward to seeing some pics from that trip Jeremy.

Guest Bonds_the_Name

It looks as if I do not have the required permissions to upload pictures to the gallery.  Also is it possible to include images in a post by uploading the images from my local directories?

Jeremy.

Guest Bonds_the_Name

Many thanks Ron.  I'll see about obtaining a Flickr acct.

Good Morning  (I think) Pete,

On the road for 1.7 days is not "that bad" . To test a couple of things I will include a link to a picture in my Photobucket account:

This chap use to come to the back door of the holiday unit for a feed.

He got quite tame but if he was spooked he raced up the nearest tree:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag380/wallerjr/Monitor_1906_zpse0981d1e.jpg

Innocent beach drive ? Isn't it?  Notice our vehicle well away?

These rocks are "Mudlo Rocks" you cross them at your peril !!

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag380/wallerjr/Mudlo_Rocks_1945_zps05144539.jpg

See:  http://www.ourrainbowbeach.com.au/our-rainbow-beach/rainbow-beach/mudlo-rocks.html

Jeremy