• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

new lamp post has arrived

red dwalf

some of you might know that 5 months ago i got onto the council to see if they would add a cover to the horrible yellow lamp post which is next to the obsy, after 4 months and 3 weeks i got onto them again having not heard a thing about it and to find out what if anything can be done and  why it`s taking so long and low and behold they came out this week and changed it to a LED type !

boy is it bright, lights up everything, but it seems to shine downwards instead of the orange ball of light the last one seemed to do.

lamppost1_zps8a618082.jpeg

lamppost2_zps151909bc.jpeg

lamppost3night_zps53b82c01.jpeg

Glad to see they've made the effort.

Will be interested to hear if you are happy with it after several imaging sessions. Hope it is an improvement for you.

just a quick one isn't all the LP filters etc all calibrated to sodium light orange street lights? how does this effect LED which tends to be more the blue end of the spectrum 

correct Allan, most light pollution filters do help to cut out the sodium light, but the light from them shines upwards as well as downwards so most of the light for lighting the pavement is wasted, the newer lamppost shine the light downwards so less is sent into the heavens so in theory once i`m above them with the rig i should see a lot less light pollution.

fingers crossed anyway, air rifle on standby. 

• Like 1

never mind when the cold weather currently hitting parts of  USA/Canada arrives here and the black outs begin you won't need the pop gun  :P

Hello

Just thought I would let you know I had the same trouble with a sodium light shining into my back garden and I got onto the council and asked if they could do anything, they very kindly got the street repair chaps to paint the back half of the light with black paint and it has made a difference, its not perfect but better than it was, they are changing our lights to the LED lights next year and the person at our local council told me they would be able to retrofit a "shield" if I have trouble after that (although the light in the photo looks different to the ones they are putting up in my part of Leicester)

Hope this helps

Rick

When I was probably about 12 years old, I had a problem with a street light. I told my dad that it was spoiling my stargazing, and within a couple of days, a big metal shield had been fitted, which very successfully darkened the whole of our garden. My dad worked for the local council ;) .

I'd gladly return to the quality of those skies again, even without the shield on the light! There was far less light pollution back then in the 1970's than now. All the streetlights turned off at midnight, and nobody had floodlights outside their house!!   :2thumbsup: