• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Deneb & NGC7000 region with the nifty 50

philjay

Taken with modded Canon 1000d and my new 50mm f1.8 Mk2 prime lens at 800 asa, stopped down to f3.2 to control the blobby stuff and a bit cropped because I didn't do any flats. IDA 48mm filter taped and wedged into the lens hood in front of the lens. Mounted on HEQ5 unguided. This is 30 off 2 minute 800 asa subs sorted in Images plus and PS7

This is my second go at this, 1st was a laugh but finally cracked the fiddly manual focusing on the lens. The dew strap died on me part way through so had to keep the wet stuff at bay with a paint stripper gun on low :D

Quite pleased with the result especially for a 79.99 lens. Shame it doesn't behave better at full aperture of 1.8 but then I spose one would have to pay a lot more. Not bad for the money and a pretty good terrestrial lens.

cygnusregion2.jpg

Edited by philjay

Ta Pete. Processing was rushed this morning so had another tweak and pulled some more out. Don't want to overcook it so that's it now for this one

cygnusregion3.jpg

Nice work Phil,

Have a fast 50mm f1.4 for my Nikon but of course the body's not modded. You said last night you had difficulty focussing. Did you find a work around or just trial and error? Have to say it's nightmare with my 18 to 105 @ 18mm unless there is something bright around. Occasionally have got lucky and it's fixed on something! My last one I posted was trial and error and zooming in after taking a shot. Was really frustrating and not that happy with the process really. Was much easier with old manual focus lenses as infinity was infinity. You seam  to have done well.

Steve

Hi Steve

My main problem is where the focus point is, there are no graduations on the manual ring like the good old days, its just a ring. Also the ring is about 4mm deep so trying to get my fingers in to turn it when I have a lens hood on the end of the lens was a pain.

I have now added some stick on tabs to the ring so I can operate the ring more easily without disturbing anything else.

My main problem was remembering which way I turned the ring last time but that's just old age not Canons fault :D

• Like 1

Yep, the problem I have is I tweak the focus then take a 30 sec to 1 minute sub. During that time I faff around and get distracted so I forget which way I turned it last time, ah well it comes to us all eventually :D

• Like 1