• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

my scope

Guest daveclarke

Guest daveclarke

hi everyone,,as a newby to stargazing,and looking at the night sky,i bought my self a not to expensive ,telescope,,,a reflector scopeF70076,,,i would like your opinions on this ,,,is it alright for a beginner,,it has 3 different stregth lenses,,,a barlow lens whatever that is ,,and a image erector..as i say i would like to hear your thoughts about this,,,,,,

Hi Dave,

Your scope is on the smaller, cheaper end of the scale, but should help get you started. You should get some pretty good views of the moon, planets and brighter DSO's with your scope, which will hopefully whet your appetite for bigger and better equipment that will allow you to see much more. If you expect Hubble type views through your eyepiece then you will be disappointed (most of us go through that stage no matter what size scope we have), only astro photography will give you that, and your scope is not suitable for it. Most of the images you see on the EMS forum are taken with equipment costing well over £1000.

If you get to know the night sky and find out where things are and when, you will get lots of enjoyment from whatever equipment you use, but that all comes with practise.

As said above, get to a dark site and compare the views through your scope with other peoples and you will soon learn a lot and find out how to get the most out of the hobby.

If you fit the barlow lens to the telescope and then put an eyepiece into the barlow lens, it usually doubles the magnification provided by the eyepiece alone. It will be easier to get used to the scope first with low magnifications without the barlow. The barlow may give a bigger better view of bright objects like the moon and planets. The lower magnification eyepieces have the bigger numbers, like say 25mm. A higher power would be a 10mm. Always use the lower magnifications to find things initially.

Binoculars are really good for getting used to the night sky as they have a wide field of view and are so quick and easy to use. I still get great enjoyment from a binocular seesion.

Guest daveclarke

thanks pete,for your advice on my scope,didnt want to spend to much at initial outlay in case,i didnt like it,,,,but the skies have been very mucky over here low cloud,,mists, so hoping for some clear cold crisp nights