• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Laptop keyboard problem!

RonC

My lappy keyboard has a problem I haven't seen before, it keeps typing up ] endlessly when I press'Backspace', anybody had this happen before??

Guest Tweedledum

Ron

Common problem on laptops where the membrane presses down on other keys or a number of keys and you'll  get random characters or duplicates. Also common prob is the cursor jumping around your documents as you type. Usually as it ages...

How old is the lappy??. Try using external keyboard.

Guest Tweedledum

If it is your only device then that sounds right! The compromise with laptops is all the components in a single module. If it is consistent after a reboot, let me know make & model & I'll see how practical it is to swap the keyboard out. else try a usb or wireless keyboard.

It's usually not a difficult task to replace the keyboard.

Edited by Tweedledum

Usually the keyboard/Membrane can be replaced so long as the motherboard is ok AND the chip that processes the attached keyboard. As Absterreo says if a USB keyboard works ok then it should be worth replacing the keyboard. One other thing to try is blast the keyboard with air or vacum just in case dirt/dust is the problem(long shot). Plus check the "device manager" just in case it shows a problem with the std driver.

Normally "just"  remove the "cowling" around the keyboard and keyboard is held in place with a couple of screws and a small ribbon cable. replacements aren't too exspansive.

As its only 2 yrs old you could be cheeky and ask the manufacturer for a replacement even though the guarantee is 1 yr - Sales act says "fit for purpose" and 2 yrs is a shortish. 

Plus have seen virus infections do this as well but very unusual as its too obvious.

Not the kind of spare I carry and I just cleared out my old bits and bob's. 

P.s. did you get the BT enquiry about Fibre to Home over Telegraph pole - Cranwell being a pilot site in Lincolnshire "he said". 100meg up and down.

Edited by stash

Guest Tweedledum

Definitely worth trying usb, unfortuntely unless your lappy is vintage then the air blowing wont work as it will be sealed unit, gone are the laptop days when you turn it upside down and shake to find a packet of crisps and a hanky there... Some desktop keyboards the shake will work. :D

Seems to be intermitant, as does the mouse non-function! I have a USB keyboard at work and will bring it home sometime and test it!! Thanks for all the advise  :)  ;)