• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Barlows not powermate

Johnnyaardvark

Hi All,

Apart from powermates, and I ask that as they are really out of my price range at the moment, what barlows do people use?

I realise some people are really not keen at all but I am wondering if there are some out there that outperform the standard skywatcher delux and ideally by quite a bit. I will most likely buy a guide camera in the near future and  am interested in something I may be able to stick a camera on the back of for possible planetary imaging but also for visual on a crisp clear night (hhhhum)

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

for price Steve i`ve always liked the revelation barlows, i`ve bought a orion shorty plus and to my eyes visually the difference is hardly anything, imaging may be another matter, i have a 4 x imagemate which i`ve had for a while but as of yet not used in anger, been wanting to try it with the 8" sct and the bigger chipped planetary camera for a while, Jupiter getting to a nice position now.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with Tal Barlows, they are very good optically for what they cost.

I picked up a 2" Skywatcher ED for £25, and for visual use it's quite good, I like it and it works well with my mid range 2" eyepieces. 

Thank you for that.

The TAL ones seem a  little few and far between. Discontinued I guess?

There are some revelation 2" ones pretty cheap via a well known online store... about £33 which I think is very reasonable for a 2" one with 1.25 adapter

...and the skywatcher ED ones? Look well built but actually quite a bit more expensive at about £58.

No rush, will probably order one or the other after Christmas.

Thoughts welcome generally about sticking a camera on the back of either of these?!

Steve

i have one of the 2" versions Steve, they are good quality for the money, your welcome to try it out before buying one if you like. 

they tend to sell second hand for around £25-£30 which is very cheap i think.

Nothing wrong with the Revelation ED 2" 2x barlow for the price. I had one and it did the job fine.

You can unscrew the black section with the lenses and screw it on to a 2" eyepiece to get 1.5x instead of 2x. So that is an extra bonus :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the help... Arrived today so I will let you know how I get on... When we have a clear spell. :)