• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New to Astronomy

Guest zidder

Hi Folks,

My name is Gary a little over 25yrs been fascinated by the night sky for many years but only ever used my eyes, I have now been bought my first telescope (hope I am not disappointed) just very cheap reflector.

My first question : is there a cheap way to change the mount ( upgrade to EQ)?

Cheers

Gary

Hi and welcome to EMS.

My advice would be use the existing kit you have first, learn as much as you can with it and then move on to a bigger scope or mount.

Astronomy has a steep learning curve and due to the weather and cloud can be a very frustrating hobby as well.

But with patience can be very rewarding as well.

Hi, welcome aboard. Come to a meet when you can and we can help you get the best out of your scope and you can have a look at and through some kit for when/if you want to upgrade. If your not in to photography an eq mount might not be your best route.

Welcome to EMS Gary.

Don't worry about upgrading your mount at this stage. The mount you have will be fine for your scope, quicker to set up and easier to use than an EQ mount.

If you don't already have it, download Stellarium free software http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/  to help you learn your way around the sky.

Ask questions on the forum, and you will get lots of help.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Gary,

Welcome to ems. Another vote for stellarium , there are a couple of books to help you also, try 'turn left at Orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'. These will help you learn the sky and guide you round. Would make great stocking fillas too!!!

Edited by Tweedledum

Hi Gary, a warm welcome to EMS.

I would just echo the above advice, the mount you have will do just fine, setting up an EQ can take a bit of getting used to. Maybe consider a pair of binoculars, these are valid observing tools in their own right, and can give views of some objects that telescopes are just not capable of providing. Just milling around the Milky way area's can be stunning.

Enjoy the forum.

• 1 month later...

I'll bet the old bike could still scare the pants off you. Was that a dustbin you were using as drum brakes? :lol:

That was a four leading shoe Baz, would stand it on it's nose. When I first got it,  seemed fast but you soon get used to it, then it is never fast enough.

As an aside three corners later I was on the floor. :facepalm2:

Edited by zidder

That is a great action picture Gary :thumbsup: .

I used to ride big bikes on the road during that era, but didn't race them.

Do you still ride one?