• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

celestron starsense faulty?

Guest RON MATTHEWS

Guest RON MATTHEWS

I am a newcomer to astronomy,a couple of weeks back i had brilliant views of stars,however the last time I was out so was the full  moon,not to be outdone i decided to go for Moon. Surprise! the only planets showing on hand set were Neptune & Uranus no mention of Moon.Could this be Moon was to bright,or some fault.Due to weather I havent had a chance to try again. However I did set up in daytime and full list of planets showed on handset.Any ideas please.

Ron Matthews

Welcome to EMS

I have never used Celestron Starsense software but the moon is not a planet.

Maybe that's why it wasn't in the planet database on the handset.

Can't you just use the controllers paddles to centre the moon in your eyepiece.

Edited by Doc

Hi Ron and welcome to EMS.

I'm just down the road from you in Mansfield.

I have never used Starsense. But I'm sure that if it successfully completed the initial alignment procedure then it is not faulty. Perhaps you were just looking in the wrong part of its menu system for the moon.

What equipment do you use?

Edited by Tweedledee

Guest RON MATTHEWS

Many thanks for replies,re. Moon not being a planet it as always shown under solar objects,as it did when tried in daylight some days after, I did get onto the Moon manualy it was the fact that I was unable to do so with handset that bothered me. I will try again at the first oppurtunity. In answer to Pete, I have a Nextstar se 8 but not many chances to use it due to weather.I have thought if I have same problem I can go back to factory settings and start again,but I want to avoid this if possible as I had alignment spot on.

Anyway I would like to thank Mick & Pete for taking time to answer my question

All the best

Ron

Guest to.dick

Hi new to this but just trying to get to grips with with my sky prodigy 130.

Trying to get a good manuel seems to be hard.

But looking n the internet for help for my controller

i read that the sun has been blocked so not to be looked at by accident to remove the block

In the manual page 15 under Tips for  solat system align. 

TOGGLE ON OR OFF

wonder if the moon has to be done the same..

Just a guess have not tried it yet.

still trying to update my hand controller

Guest RON MATTHEWS

TO DICK,

Thanks for your interest,I had thought along these lines myself as the Sun is missing from menu so you do not look at it

without special filters etc. but the Moon was certainly bright that night and I had thought it may have triggered a safety device.I will know more when we have a decent night so I can try again.

Many thanks

Ron Matthews

Guest to.dick

Hi Ron

What telescope have you ?

On my prodigy 130 there on the handset is a button for solar system No. 1 

which has the moon on it.

haven't tried it yet but seems promising.

I'm new to this and still finding my way round after repairing the handset..

perhaps email?  as it quite a  long story..

just waiting for clear skies to try again

hope this helps

Hi Ron, welcome to Ems.

Out of curiosity I just downloaded the starsense manual as I would not expect astronomical telescope control to have a moon block on it. The manual says the solar system menu has planets and moon with only the sun being blocked (but can be overridden) So the moon choice should ge in the solar sytem menu.

Hi Ron, welcome.

I'm afraid I have no clue, as I have never seen nor used the software.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Edited by Daz Type-R

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RON MATTHEWS

Hi everyone,

RE my enquiry re. starsense,I tried again with the same resultes so I dissconnected SKYSYNC GPS annd every thing is OK. Went back to SKYSYNC and discovered  that Location and time OK but the date was 2013( not2014) so this is where the fault lies. I am waiting for responce from Celestron  but the holiday is causing a delay.Trawling the internet I have found 1 simular incident where his date was 20yrs plus.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Ronl