• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

binoculars.

Guest daveclarke

Guest daveclarke

have chance to buy celestron bins 25 by 70 ,,as a newby i would appreciate your views ,,comes with a tripod mount as well price £67 is this too good too be true at this price,come on give me honest opinions please.

Will you get a chance to look through them before you buy?

If not it doesn't seem a bad buy, quite a few on the forum own these (or similar) bins..

By the way, we're meeting at Badger Farm tonight if you fancy a trip, quite a few scopes etc to look through! :)

Cheers

Ron

Will you get a chance to look through them before you buy?

If not it doesn't seem a bad buy, quite a few on the forum own these (or similar) bins..

By the way, we're meeting at Badger Farm tonight if you fancy a trip, quite a few scopes etc to look through! :)

Cheers

Ron

Thought it was Saturday 20th ??????

Apparently the Celestron Skymaster 25x70s are reputed to be very good for the price. I only have experience with their 15x70s and 25x100s which I found very good and enjoyable to use. The real field of view in the Celestron 25x70s is reported to be rather narrow at just 2.4 degrees, and less than that advertised. This will definitely make them unusable without the tripod and will make it more difficult to locate objects. On the tripod the 25x bins will be fine. The 15x70s have a much wider field of 4.4 degrees and I find that they are on the limit for hand held use and even then you ideally need to be leaning against a wall or lying down to reduce the jiggles to a minimum if you are not using them on the tripod.

As Ron says it would be advisable to get a look through them, preferably at night, before you buy. Secondhand bins may have been dropped or roughly treated, and become misaligned showing double images, which will show up on the stars while they might not be quite so easily seen in daylight. Secondhand you probably won't have any warranty.

Since you are new to astronomy, my advice would be to get 10x50s or 15x70s (unless you already have some) for the wider field of view so you will find it easier to locate stuff. If you already have smaller bins then the 25x ones could be a good step up. They sound like a reasonable price unless the tripod is really rubbish, but always worth haggling. These bins usually sell for £70 to £80 new without the tripod.

Edited by Tweedledee

For what it's worth, if you wear glasses, just check that you can use them (assuming you want to). I tried some wearing glasses and found that the eye relief wasn't sufficient. I did buy Pentax 20x60 PCF WP II a few years ago, which are really good (IMHO) and recently some Bresser Hunter 10x50 binos which were on sale at Aldi or Lidl for about £17 and are very good value with decent optics. Both are OK with glasses for me. The Pentax need a tripod for astro use, but the Bressers are small enough to hand hold.

Alan