• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Computer help desperately needed.

Graham

Hi all

My desktop computer has died on me.

I think it is the processor over heating.

It just stops working, some times it will get halfway through booting up and stop other times it will boot up and run for a couple of minuets before freezing.

Just before it freezes the main fan on the tower goes into overdrive.

I checked the heat sink on the chip and found it has become detached from the chip as in the joint compound has broken up.

Now I have another tower here so I figured I could just put the hard drive into it and away I would go.

Not a chance. :wallbash:

I just get an error message about files.

I tried to boot it from the Windows XP Pro disc and it booted up but then wanted to rewrite my hard drive.

This hard drive has all my business stuff on it along with all my programs including jobs booked in to be done ect.

My question is this.

Is there anyway I can get the new tower to recognize the hard drive and use it.

God I hate computers nothing is ever simple with them. :computer: :computer: :computer:

So any help would be more than appreciated.

Thank you.

Guest StevenWhatley

it would be simpler to order some heat sink and reseat the fan as that's why it will be cutting off.. the chip will get very hot very quick without it..

Sorry Graham, I have no idea, that's what kids are useful for.

My lad used to have a connector which piggy backed a hard drive to the computer, and effectively became an external hard drive. This way  it was possible to transfer data. I suspect though it needs to be running the same operating system though to be compatible.

I am not much help and I hope you get it sorted out soon though.

it would be simpler to order some heat sink and reseat the fan as that's why it will be cutting off.. the chip will get very hot very quick without it..

Thanks for the advice.

Will it be ok ???or will the chip be fried.

Sorry Graham, I have no idea, that's what kids are useful for.

My lad used to have a connector which piggy backed a hard drive to the computer, and effectively became an external hard drive. This way  it was possible to transfer data. I suspect though it needs to be running the same operating system though to be compatible.

I am not much help and I hope you get it sorted out soon though.

Thanks Baz

You and me both where computers are concerned.

I tried to transfer the data to the hard drive in the spare tower but after researching on the web it seems it is not possible to do when running XP.

Guest StevenWhatley

Graham

did you try putting the HD into the other pc by itself or along side the original HD so making your work HD the slave on the surrogate pc??

You can simply put that HD in another pc but you will need drivers for the new pc in order for windows to recognise things..

Your data is probably recoverable as long as the route fault isn't your HD to the extent it doesn't work..

Guest StevenWhatley

Thanks for the advice.

Will it be ok ???or will the chip be fried.

Thanks Baz

You and me both where computers are concerned.

I tried to transfer the data to the hard drive in the spare tower but after researching on the web it seems it is not possible to do when running XP.

Chips can take a beating but not for long.. Send me your address and I will post some out to you on Monday..

Graham

did you try putting the HD into the other pc by itself or along side the original HD so making your work HD the slave on the surrogate pc??

You can simply put that HD in another pc but you will need drivers for the new pc in order for windows to recognise things..

Your data is probably recoverable as long as the route fault isn't your HD to the extent it doesn't work..

Hi Steven

I first put it in as a slave to check the HD was ok.

It performed a full scan and the HD was fine.

I then swapped the HD's to see if it would boot but I just got the file error message.

Where do I get the drivers from.

I did try to use the XP disc which loaded a load of stuff and the new tower booted up but it then tried to reload my hard drive.

I cancelled the operation as I did not want it to wipe all my stuff.

Chips can take a beating but not for long.. Send me your address and I will post some out to you on Monday..

Thanks for that I can nip up to Maplins in the morning and get some.

If that doesnt work out I will let you know.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Graham,

Saw your post in the shoutbox and emailed you some days ago. Any issues drop me an email...

Cheers

Damian

PS

I do not use PMS any more. If anyone wants to contact me then those who can have my email address:-)

Hi Damian

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I used the pc for everything including web stuff so I missed that.

I have managed to get this old laptop up and running again to get me by so I can get on here.

I will mail you if this heat sink paste doesn't work. :2thumbsup:

Thanks Damian

The paste failed so I have done a clean install on the spare tower unit and i am at this moment loading everything onto it.

I am hoping I will be able to use the old HD as a slave and transfer my old data onto the new HD.

thanks

If that fails Graham, what about getting an usb external drive box, fitting your hdd in that and accessing via another pc/laptop? In principle it should work, but pcs are sneaky. I did it with an old hdd once

Edited by philjay

If that fails Graham, what about getting an usb external drive box, fitting your hdd in that and accessing via another pc/laptop? In principle it should work, but pcs are sneaky. I did it with an old hdd once

Hi Phil

Tried that but I cannot run my programs from there as the program needs to be installed on the main hd.

Thanks

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Graham,

Not so, all the installation of software is doing is looking or a place to default too. That is usually the local system drive C:\, however if you have a custom install you can almost always specify the location of the software.  It is during this process the registry entries are created, the registry will be on  the system drive, If there are any shared dl'ls then these may also be installed on the system partition.

Can you drop me a mail with your hd type, op sys etc. If you cannot access the old drive I probably can. Off to nwales unexpectedly tomorrow. but will have email etc.

Merry Xmas

Hi Graham,

Not so, all the installation of software is doing is looking or a place to default too. That is usually the local system drive C:\, however if you have a custom install you can almost always specify the location of the software.  It is during this process the registry entries are created, the registry will be on  the system drive, If there are any shared dl'ls then these may also be installed on the system partition.

Can you drop me a mail with your hd type, op sys etc. If you cannot access the old drive I probably can. Off to nwales unexpectedly tomorrow. but will have email etc.

Merry Xmas

Hi Damian

Clean install completed on the second tower.

I have managed to retrieve all my emails so I am a happy bunny once again.

All the data for my invoicing is backed up on a flash drive so I just need to load the accounts program and I can get those back.

These computers are very useful but are a tremendous source of pain when they go wrong.

You have a good one Damian and thanks.

Glad your sorted Graham, I had this problem a few weeks ago and it's a PITA for sure!!

Cheers

Ron

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Graham,

Good for you, all I can say is backup, backup.

Took a call from the pa of the chief exec of TW, 'Hi Damian my PC has crashed',,,'no problem R***** where's the backup'... Very brusque.'no time to backup',,,, 'then you are going to spend a lot of time retyping Mikes mail'... Before the time of cloud & centralised services.

Seriously the most valuable part of your PC is the data. If you use flash or USB drives you should not routinely leave them connected to your laptop / PC. Data ransom is now more common and almost impossible to circumvent..

You too have a very good & peaceful one.

Hi Graham,

Good for you, all I can say is backup, backup.

Took a call from the pa of the chief exec of TW, 'Hi Damian my PC has crashed',,,'no problem R***** where's the backup'... Very brusque.'no time to backup',,,, 'then you are going to spend a lot of time retyping Mikes mail'... Before the time of cloud & centralised services.

Seriously the most valuable part of your PC is the data. If you use flash or USB drives you should not routinely leave them connected to your laptop / PC. Data ransom is now more common and almost impossible to circumvent..

You too have a very good & peaceful one.

While I agree with "Back up,Back up" that is useless if the back ups aren't tested as being "good" - so it should be "Back up, Back Up and test your back ups"  :)

Guest Tweedledum

Did not want to preach... If you want to do it properly :- father, grandfather son. Rotate and test, should never backup over your previous backup.!.

Did not want to preach... If you want to do it properly :- father, grandfather son. Rotate and test, should never backup over your previous backup.!.

Yes its been preached by IT dept's  over the last 40+ years yet still many don't use the seat belt provided  ;)

And the "Cloud" doesn't help as everyone assumes someone else is doing it - are they how do you know ?

As the military are taught "expect to win plan for the worst".

Still without (cheap) computers you wouldn't have "Goto's" and Paint Shop etc.  :evil:  :D